No announcement yet.

Valve Announces Steam Deck As Portable SteamOS + AMD Powered Portable PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expected this to be a niche product, but the store has been a mess since reservations opened. It took me a dozen tries and 15 minutes to complete check out. I hope they sell every one they can make.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
      I expected this to be a niche product, but the store has been a mess since reservations opened. It took me a dozen tries and 15 minutes to complete check out. I hope they sell every one they can make.
      You seem like a nintendo fanboi. You claimed that Nintendo games are excellent, which is a huge lie. Nintendo games are bad, it is just that they make crappy underpowered consoles so their games get no competition. That is the real reason why Nintendo always releases underpowered consoles, they aren't able to compete with 3rd party developers. Skyrim is leaps and bounds better than Zelda Breath of the Wild, for instance. Objectively. And it came out 6 years earlier.

Of course people want the new console. I want it too, but i don't have the money to spare right now, so i am gonna buy it later. This is gonna sell far more than the Switch.

Comment

The year of the Linux desktop has finally came? Over Arch?

I don't play videogames anymore and I didn't ever play on a computer if not for running Mame and 16-bit consoles emulators, but I see hard time for this project.
        PC gamers love playing on a PC with a mouse and a keyboard, I don't see why them suddenly should use the steam console when a laptop would be for many of them the natural solution to play anywhere.

I see this console more in competition with the Nintendo Switch and many (parents-gamers) may consider to be better sharing the steam collection across multiple devices rather than buy some games for steam and some for the Switch.

Honestly is more worth for the product itself, but would be sudo enabled by default?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          I don't believe that.
          And I really do not care what you believe or not

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I think you underestimate how big of an incentive that different library of games is. Nintendo's first party games tend to be excellent. For basically everything else, I'd rather own it on Steam.
            That's not the point I am making, as I said, I am disappointed with the hardware, as I have said, MANY times now, the console will sell. Its just from a tech perspective. it is disappointing. but even if that was the case. this is a forum dedicated to linux users, the majority being powerusers. I would say 99% of the people fall into the same category as you, myself included. but I doubt normies would, not that this is necessarily a product for normies. I would have to test the console myself. but again, that's not the point.

Who in the actual hell wants to hook up a big honking eGPU to a portable console, even when docked? This must amount to < 5% of the target market. Again, sometimes the things we want are super niche and make zero sense from a business perspective, but it's hard to see that because they would be cool as hell to ourselves.

Also, if this even reasonably successful it will build momentum for future iterations, or even a line of devices, including some higher end and more expensive ones that will probably have all the things you want. Not to mention it's a nice way to directly fund Valve's investment in Linux gaming, when nobody else seems to give a damn.
            No one WANTs too. but I think the want of playing games at 4k on a 4k TV is not small either. especially when, as i said, hooking up to a TV to play games is an advertised use case. of course the switch can't do it. its running hardware from 2015. when compared to the deck that is coming out in 2022, the performance is going to be HIGHLY disappointing. and that's not even accounting for the fact that not all PC games that do have a console port play well with controllers even with the steam layer.

at least with an egpu, we are given that option. even if the deck isn't designed to be a switch killer, its feature set is highly comparable (especially with a modded switch, but that's not really a fair comparison all things considered) so it is a direct competition between the two. sure its going to be better than the switch. but it isn't an amazing system. It will sell, and it may even make a few more linux users if it doesn't flop. but the performance is going to be lack luster in one of its advertised uses, and there isn't anything an end user will be able to do unless someone makes an egpu mod. and I find that very disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiua View Post
              And I really do not care what you believe or not
              I didn't say you need to care. I said you are lying, so others know that. It is impossible for me to encounter various issues so often, and for others to claim there are no issues. Impossible. I have tried multiple hardware, at work and at home, and clean installations, etc. Plasma is not stable, even in X11. I am not saying it crashes constantly, but there are always glitches. This is not something you want in a console.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                I said you are lying, so others know that. It is impossible for me to encounter various issues so often, and for others to claim there are no issues.
                Ah yes, your sample size of 1 is definitely proof enough that it cannot work for someone else

I now remember why I avoid Phoronix comment section usually.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Uhm no, sorry, but that's complete bull****. First of all, KDE 520mb vs Gnome 1.3gb on cold boot.

Meanwhile, GNOME on Arch...

Comment

Originally posted by Aiua View Post
                    Ah yes, your sample size of 1 is definitely proof enough that it cannot work for someone else

I now remember why I avoid Phoronix comment section usually.
                    These forums are a cesspool of stupidity. Posters can generally be broken down into 5 categories.
                    1. Morons
                    2. Trolls
                    3. Moron trolls
                    4. Linux nerds (myself included)
                    5. The few people with some interesting industry insight (e.g. AMD or RH employees)
                    Unfortunately it is often the case that > 75% of comments are from people in the first 3 groups.

Comment

• Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

These forums are a cesspool of stupidity. Posters can generally be broken down into 5 categories.
                      1. Morons
                      2. Trolls
                      3. Moron trolls
                      4. Linux nerds (myself included)
                      5. The few people with some interesting industry insight (e.g. AMD or RH employees)
                      Unfortunately it is often the case that > 75% of comments are from people in the first 3 groups.
                      Moron trolls. ahah

The problem is most Linux users tend to be a bit more intelligent than the average user, that intelligence often brings with it a bigger ego resulting in moron trolls.

Comment

Working...
                      X