Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danielsan
    replied
    The year of the Linux desktop has finally came? Over Arch?

I don't play videogames anymore and I didn't ever play on a computer if not for running Mame and 16-bit consoles emulators, but I see hard time for this project.
    PC gamers love playing on a PC with a mouse and a keyboard, I don't see why them suddenly should use the steam console when a laptop would be for many of them the natural solution to play anywhere.

I see this console more in competition with the Nintendo Switch and many (parents-gamers) may consider to be better sharing the steam collection across multiple devices rather than buy some games for steam and some for the Switch.

Honestly is more worth for the product itself, but would be sudo enabled by default?

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
    I expected this to be a niche product, but the store has been a mess since reservations opened. It took me a dozen tries and 15 minutes to complete check out. I hope they sell every one they can make.
    You seem like a nintendo fanboi. You claimed that Nintendo games are excellent, which is a huge lie. Nintendo games are bad, it is just that they make crappy underpowered consoles so their games get no competition. That is the real reason why Nintendo always releases underpowered consoles, they aren't able to compete with 3rd party developers. Skyrim is leaps and bounds better than Zelda Breath of the Wild, for instance. Objectively. And it came out 6 years earlier.

Of course people want the new console. I want it too, but i don't have the money to spare right now, so i am gonna buy it later. This is gonna sell far more than the Switch.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    I expected this to be a niche product, but the store has been a mess since reservations opened. It took me a dozen tries and 15 minutes to complete check out. I hope they sell every one they can make.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by Aiua View Post

This is such a ridiculous take, I work everyday on a KDE system without any issue.
    I don't believe that. I have been using Arch for more than 14 years. While i mainly use Gnome, i occasionally try out KDE and there are always problems. I don't believe for a second it is going to be a polished experience. Sadly, KDE fanbois don't realise what "polished experience for a console" means.

Leave a comment:

• AHOY
    replied
    Anyone knows if it's IP6X salt-proof rated? I want to install GNOME there but I worry about the warranty

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Performance will be fine. Seems people don't realize this is a 800p machine. I own an AMD FX-6300, with 16gigs of RAM and an R9 380 2GB of VRAM. with 2Terras of HDD, one of the faster ones though. I game only on Linux. And let me tell you, at 1080p, i can play many, many games, whether native or on Wine/proton, just fine. In fact, i can even play Cyberpunk 2077, last time i tried it was definitely playable on low settings, albeit at a lower resolution, around 900p. The deck seems quite stronger than my machine, i am willing to bet that with a little maturation from drivers and proton, it can definitely run a playable Cyberpunk 2077. And if it can run this, it can run anything. And my machine, is WAY under the minimum requirements for Cyberpunk 2077...

This little monster is gonna be a raging success, especially if Valve manages to convince more AAA companies to provide more native ports of their games, instead of relying on Proton. For example Bethesda could be convinced to release a Linux port of Skyrim SE and Fallout 4/76. It is worth it if they use Vulkan, because Vulkan ports could potentially work on Android platforms down the line.

Leave a comment:

• Aiua
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    That does not change the fact that for a Workstation OS, KDE is simply to broken, to heavy and too buggy for being the default. No reputable workstation linux distro ships KDE by default. Thats not fanboyism, install plasma, test it, compare it and every sane person will come to the same conclusion. A poorly executed windows clone with questionable software design and licensing issues.
    This is such a ridiculous take, I work everyday on a KDE system without any issue.

Leave a comment:

• AmericanLocomotive
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's what I was afraid of. Here's to hoping the hardware modding community figures out something faster than MicroSD else I'm gonna have to consider the mid-range or premium. 64GB just isn't enough storage for a modern gaming device. Frankly, neither are the other two with games around 100GB these days. If you have a shitty ISP with bandwidth limitations this matters a lot because you can't swap games out every day unless you have some sort of high capacity file storage solution and slowly acquire your legally purchased games...it sucks...welp, I've hit 250gb, stop download games for the month...it really, really sucks...
    SD Cards have come a long way. There are now "Application" class SD cards with read speeds approaching 300MB/s.

Is it as fast an SSD? No, but it should be quicker than a mechanical HDD.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
    In the IGN interview the Valve devs have denied this. It seems like the storage will be directly soldered to the mainboard. In any model you can add a high capacity MicroSD card however and these aren't as slow as they used to be.
    That's what I was afraid of. Here's to hoping the hardware modding community figures out something faster than MicroSD else I'm gonna have to consider the mid-range or premium. 64GB just isn't enough storage for a modern gaming device. Frankly, neither are the other two with games around 100GB these days. If you have a shitty ISP with bandwidth limitations this matters a lot because you can't swap games out every day unless you have some sort of high capacity file storage solution and slowly acquire your legally purchased games...it sucks...welp, I've hit 250gb, stop download games for the month...it really, really sucks...

Leave a comment:

• murraytony
    replied
    I hope it does well, should be funding lots of Linux development!

However, I looked at it and thought that I already have one with my Kishi + Phone + Stadia.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X