X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by evasb View Post
    Now Epic Games can do their move and port Epic Store for Linux to people play in their Steam Decks.
    The tricky bit is porting the games, though I suppose they could rely on VALVe's Proton work.

Leave a comment:

• brk0_0
    replied
    I love the idea and can't wait to have one. Specs are incredible, stack seems solid, price is very good.

I have to say I disagree that consumers will not find this appealing, just to look at how switch sales are composed of: yes, first party thrive on the switch, but they lack a TON of stuff that's hyped on twitch and channels like this. If the Deck can provide that on a portable without any porting involved it will be game changer. Forget "switch when?" messages on forums.

I have 3 concerns though:
    1) Software. Proton seems awesome and valve can provide an even better compatibility if they focus on this hardware. Optimization across the whole stack can also help them. However, it's still a long way ahead for anti-cheat/DRM stuff. This composes a huge part of their top 100 library. There's also the whole console-like experience that is hard to provide: good default settings, smooth return to the OS UI, good sleep mode, no windows popping or glitches when going full screen. A good selection of multimedia apps wouldn't hurt also. I hope they have time and people focused on doing this, as it seems the most critical piece of the strategy.

2) Storage: this is critical, specially for the low end SKU. Since it's a 720p device, I hope they can provide a way for developers to provide a compressed game with lower resolution assets. Take Divinity: Original Sin 2 that has 60gb on steam vs 12gb on the Switch. Optimization options should be on developers' hands as this has great impact on end users.

3) Battery life: 720p helps and AMD chips are efficient. But it's still a x86. I wonder how customers will react to low battery life if they can't necessarily dock their systems and play on TV (since it doesn't come with a dock). Similar playtime worked on the Switch but I don't know if it's going to work here.

​​​​​​​Overall I'm very excited for the thing, and it success could represent a huge step for Linux gaming.

Leave a comment:

• sirspudd
    replied
    Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
    Even though it's arch based I wonder if they will manage the updates. I wonder if they will manage things like Manjaro do and hold off a little on the very latest packages, giving them time to test things before each update.

Anyway, it's exciting to see SteamOS is still alive in a different form. Could we be about to see the mythical 1% of Linux gamers on Steam figure get smashed this xmas?
    I anticipate them using provisioned filesystems in an a/b update format. I would be appalled if they actually used pacman in the field. I was an embedded Linux consultant and have delivered 2 discrete a/b partition update implementations which couple into a custom EFI (or uboot) bootloader (forked off systemd-bootd). It is easy enough (the latest systemd actually explicitly supports this now) and infinitely more robust than allowing machines in the field to splinter (as discrete Linux machines undergoing non-deterministic updates/adjustment)

I actually ordered one of these for many reasons. I love Arch, I appreciate Valve and the work they contribute to mesa, Proton, SDL2 and other bits of the stack, but I also simply want to see their approach to shipping an Arch based device like this

Leave a comment:

• LeJimster
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

These forums are a cesspool of stupidity. Posters can generally be broken down into 5 categories.
    1. Morons
    2. Trolls
    3. Moron trolls
    4. Linux nerds (myself included)
    5. The few people with some interesting industry insight (e.g. AMD or RH employees)
    Unfortunately it is often the case that > 75% of comments are from people in the first 3 groups.
    Moron trolls. ahah

The problem is most Linux users tend to be a bit more intelligent than the average user, that intelligence often brings with it a bigger ego resulting in moron trolls.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    Originally posted by Aiua View Post
    Ah yes, your sample size of 1 is definitely proof enough that it cannot work for someone else

I now remember why I avoid Phoronix comment section usually.
    These forums are a cesspool of stupidity. Posters can generally be broken down into 5 categories.
    1. Morons
    2. Trolls
    3. Moron trolls
    4. Linux nerds (myself included)
    5. The few people with some interesting industry insight (e.g. AMD or RH employees)
    Unfortunately it is often the case that > 75% of comments are from people in the first 3 groups.

Leave a comment:

• gedgon
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post

Uhm no, sorry, but that's complete bull****. First of all, KDE 520mb vs Gnome 1.3gb on cold boot.

Meanwhile, GNOME on Arch...

Leave a comment:

• Aiua
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I said you are lying, so others know that. It is impossible for me to encounter various issues so often, and for others to claim there are no issues.
    Ah yes, your sample size of 1 is definitely proof enough that it cannot work for someone else

I now remember why I avoid Phoronix comment section usually.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by Aiua View Post
    And I really do not care what you believe or not
    I didn't say you need to care. I said you are lying, so others know that. It is impossible for me to encounter various issues so often, and for others to claim there are no issues. Impossible. I have tried multiple hardware, at work and at home, and clean installations, etc. Plasma is not stable, even in X11. I am not saying it crashes constantly, but there are always glitches. This is not something you want in a console.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I think you underestimate how big of an incentive that different library of games is. Nintendo's first party games tend to be excellent. For basically everything else, I'd rather own it on Steam.
    That's not the point I am making, as I said, I am disappointed with the hardware, as I have said, MANY times now, the console will sell. Its just from a tech perspective. it is disappointing. but even if that was the case. this is a forum dedicated to linux users, the majority being powerusers. I would say 99% of the people fall into the same category as you, myself included. but I doubt normies would, not that this is necessarily a product for normies. I would have to test the console myself. but again, that's not the point.

Who in the actual hell wants to hook up a big honking eGPU to a portable console, even when docked? This must amount to < 5% of the target market. Again, sometimes the things we want are super niche and make zero sense from a business perspective, but it's hard to see that because they would be cool as hell to ourselves.

Also, if this even reasonably successful it will build momentum for future iterations, or even a line of devices, including some higher end and more expensive ones that will probably have all the things you want. Not to mention it's a nice way to directly fund Valve's investment in Linux gaming, when nobody else seems to give a damn.
    No one WANTs too. but I think the want of playing games at 4k on a 4k TV is not small either. especially when, as i said, hooking up to a TV to play games is an advertised use case. of course the switch can't do it. its running hardware from 2015. when compared to the deck that is coming out in 2022, the performance is going to be HIGHLY disappointing. and that's not even accounting for the fact that not all PC games that do have a console port play well with controllers even with the steam layer.

at least with an egpu, we are given that option. even if the deck isn't designed to be a switch killer, its feature set is highly comparable (especially with a modded switch, but that's not really a fair comparison all things considered) so it is a direct competition between the two. sure its going to be better than the switch. but it isn't an amazing system. It will sell, and it may even make a few more linux users if it doesn't flop. but the performance is going to be lack luster in one of its advertised uses, and there isn't anything an end user will be able to do unless someone makes an egpu mod. and I find that very disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• Aiua
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I don't believe that.
    And I really do not care what you believe or not

Leave a comment:

Working...
X