Valve Announces Steam Deck As Portable SteamOS + AMD Powered Portable PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    The APU is a quad-core Zen2 plus 8 core RDNA 2 GPU. A little less power than I was hopping for, but for a portable were battery life is everything, is not bad at all.

And they at least will try to hold back scalpers a bit. To reserve and buy one (this year at last), you must have a valid Steam account and had made a purchase up to last month. So scalpers creating new accounts are screwed.
    I'm locked out then. My Steam account exists only for GOG Connect and as a backup proof of purchase, and it's still locked at level 0 because 1794 games in it or not, I refuse to deposit the requisite $5 to financially endorse a DRM-encouraging business model.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

It has DisplayPort over USB-C and supports 4K @ 120 Hz and even 8K @ 60 Hz output (using DSC, 4K @ 60 Hz without DSC). It will work with TVs even without the official dock.

The Nintendo Switch has far weaker graphics in portable or docked mode. I have to check the numbers but... maybe this will emulate Switch games as well as the Switch can play them?
      it will work, but from what I have heard it is targeting 720p/ still even docked. Raw performance doesn't matter. in game does. yes the deck will be more powerful, but if the optimization of switch games can compete does it matter? and they can be optimized to a greater degree. the GPU still isn't all that powerful. but we would need to see benchmarks to know for sure. but it is still a mobile oriented version of amd desktop apu.

Comment

The Valve console is 720p/60Hz on the LCD. The DisplayPort is confirmed to be 1.4, and HDMI is 2.0; also native resolution is confirmed to be to 8K/30Hz or 4K/60Kz maximum. Of course, this will depend on a game/developer case basis, since they will allow to choose resolution inside each game when using external outputs. Of course most of the titles on launch will be windows titles emulated through Proton.

Also, since is a linux desktop, RetroArch is possible, so the entire emulation catalog from the old Atari 2600, up to wii/3ds is possible. Even switch emulation

Contrast this with the switch: it can output to 4K, but maximum hardware resolution is always 1080p.
        Last edited by stargeizer; 15 July 2021, 08:28 PM.

Comment

My biggest concern is that they advertise the product as a machine that can run all of the Steam games and everyone's entire library will just run without a single issue. That's optimistic at least. While I can definitely say that Proton/Wine is in very good shape these days, as a daily user I'm a bit skeptical about how the whole library term will meet the reality. For sure, it will run enough games to be useful, but I imagine launch day complaints from users not being able to run one title or another, because they were fooled by misleading advertisement. Valve will need to rush like crazy delivering Proton patches, but the overall opinion of the product will get some impact.

Another concern is Steam itself. They say it will run the same Steam with new UI cut specifically for the device. Steam on Linux (or maybe Steam client in general) is buggy and clunky. Apart from that, some Windows games have awful launchers, force you to login to some ridiculous online services, take a lot of time to load and prevents you from actually running the game sometimes. Also, how will they handle games updates that break Proton compatibility? How about the Vulkan shaders compilation process on the game's first launch?

After all I really like the fact that they're doing it. From the free software enthusiast perspective it's pretty hot. If they'll make it to gain some market share with the device, It will probably make gaming on Linux a lot better, but potentially will also bring new people to desktop Linux as it can be hooked up to the monitor to use KDE Plasma as a PC desktop. That could result in some improvements to the desktop ecosystem in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

it will work, but from what I have heard it is targeting 720p/ still even docked. Raw performance doesn't matter. in game does. yes the deck will be more powerful, but if the optimization of switch games can compete does it matter? and they can be optimized to a greater degree. the GPU still isn't all that powerful. but we would need to see benchmarks to know for sure. but it is still a mobile oriented version of amd desktop apu.
            The desktop APUs are still using Vega graphics for now.

Steam Deck can reach 1.6 teraflops when battery life isn't a concern. The 5700G is about 2.05 teraflops. That's 78%. But teraflops isn't everything... 🤔

Comment

I hope this is a smashing success! The device looks great. Glad to see there might be an option for Valve to further monetize the great work they have put into Proton and improved Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                I'm locked out then. My Steam account exists only for GOG Connect and as a backup proof of purchase, and it's still locked at level 0 because 1794 games in it or not, I refuse to deposit the requisite $5 to financially endorse a DRM-encouraging business model.
                I've not investigated, but I thought Steam Level is dependent on Achievements, trading cards, etc. rather than purchases. I've certainly not seen my Steam Level rise with purchases (as much as I dislike DRM in general, Disgaea on the PC is too tempting to resist )...

The Steam Deck could be an interesting (and much more flexible) replacement for my much-loved (but sadly abandoned-by-Sony) PS Vita.

But the only one worth buying is the top end model.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
                  My biggest concern is that they advertise the product as a machine that can run all of the Steam games and everyone's entire library will just run without a single issue.
                  I think most users will not care about that, because most people buying this will have a full windows gaming setup with a steam library at home already, so if 1-2% of their games don't run mobile they can play that few games on their home pc.

Also technically it's even correct, because there is the in-house streaming, they can play over the streaming thing 100% of all games in the library from the sofa, they just need a windows pc running

It can't happen any other way, if they don't release products till 100% support is happen then that will never happen because without such products in 10 Years the linux market share is still <2% and many companies will not port their games, and you never can make a absolute perfect proton/wine setup that works always perfect, especially with all the anti cheat stuff.

No matter how big of a success this will be, and I hear many people in forums that already decided to order it, I am 100% certain that it will be a much bigger success than the steam machines... and that is all it has to do. I wonder if that will end in other oems releasing similar products with the same steamos or if it will be mostly this specific hardware that is sold very often. Either way it's nessesary to have this official box, that was besides drasticly less game support with the steam machines the major problem that there was no official box from Valve. That just generates trust.

Now you fear that some people then loose trust because they feel betrayed, I doubt that a big % buys so blind such a box and has such high expectations and if they really hate it they still can install windows. So the hardware delivers over streaming and over windows what they advertise... I rather have some disappointed users than close to zero users of steam on linux.

The first Android phone was trash, and Apple already had a much better product out there did that hurt the success of linux on phones? No... and the customers of that did not have the choice to replace the os on those phones with IOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Its not just a handheld though, it is a steam DECK. and will becoming with an official dock. it also needs to compete on the TV to be competitive to the switch. overall I don't see anyone looking at this and choosing this over the switch. don't get me wrong, as I said, I think this has a market. it's just the market for it is so much smaller than what it could have been. this is only a good buy for people who want a good portable experience that isn't a laptop, and already have a sizeable PC library, (whether free or not, doesn't matter). whereas on the switch its good in portable, good enough in docked mode, even on a 4k TV. has good exclusive games (discounting emulation for now though as it's not yet ready to be a considerable alternative).

They could have made it more than it is. and I find that dissapointing
                    I think you are stuck in the usual trap of "my use case is the only use case that matters". I have a 3DS XL but haven't bought a Switch yet. I'm reserving the 512GB of this tomorrow. Also, you are asking for something that is already on the edge of pricing itself out of the market to be even more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I think you are stuck in the usual trap of "my use case is the only use case that matters". I have a 3DS XL but haven't bought a Switch yet. I'm reserving the 512GB of this tomorrow. Also, you are asking for something that is already on the edge of pricing itself out of the market to be even more expensive.
                      no. I'm stuck on the fact that a piece of hardware is going to preform in real world scenarios in the same ballpark as a piece of hardware from 2015 and yet offering no real incentive other than a different library of games. the steam deck is the worst parts about consoles with little of the good. in comparing to the switch, which is a direct competitor in terms of price, and size.

The steam deck's performance in games will be around that of an 4600g the extra cores and tflops would be good enough to cover generational gap, which comparing to a switch isn't really all that impressive, it's definitely better, but not by too large a margin thanks to optimization of switch games. they appear to be the same in terms of portability. the target audience overlaps a lot in many of these areas. and yet aside from PC games and a portable PC, the steam deck doesn't even offer all that much in comparison to it.

it is disappointing to see valve not do more with the system. there are many things they could have done with it, but the hardware is just... disappointing. as I said multiple times now, it has a market and it will sell, but there was much more potential here left gone. I have hope for the software sides of things, maybe the foss community can take it to the next level, but hardware wise it IS disappointing.

I wouldn't consider buying this without egpu support. the apu is simply to weak gpu wise for modern TVs many of which you can get 4k for cheap. and docking it IS an advertised usecase. and comparing to switch isn't even fair considering the age of the two systems.

software wise I couldn't say yet. steamOS is just an OS, still needs ecosystem. here are two things that would take it to the next level that doesn't even need valve, (but would be nice to see them work on) that could convince me to buy it.

1. Media apps, YT app, amazon, netflix, hulu etc. Switch blew chunks in this regard. if we get these apps, it would go a great deal towards increasing market share and value.
                      2. I would like to see android app support that works. I don't care if it is anbox, or qemu. using this as an android tablet would be really cool. and shouldn't be hard to setup with qemu+androidx86

but overall, it is disappointing to see valve not take it to where it could have been I understand using the APU, I do not understand lack of egpu support, even if it would be a small price hike, even if it was only available on the higher end models.

Comment

Working...
                      X