X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scirocco
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

You have just answered yourself, its likely that they went for Arch precisely because they are relying on sooner updates specifically from the kernel. They are using AMD graphics which means graphics driver improvements are tied to the linux Kernel version. Arch is arguably the best distro for this usecase, its incredibly fast when it comes to testing changes from upstream as soon as they are released as stable and they have a huge amount of users to test.

Fedora would have been another contender but unfortunately they married to Gnome and tbh Gnome is kinda bad (particularly if you look at memory usage which matters for a device like this).
    Actually since gnome 40, gnome is a bit ligher on the memory then kde, fresh boot with standard install of kde on arch, my kde is 750mb, while my gnome 40 is 700 mb.

Leave a comment:

• AHOY
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium

as soon as you find out that KDE/Plasma did put in security holes means autostart of virus/trojan horse if you plug in a usb stick...

as soon as you find this out and connect the dots that its the evil side who run KDE/plasma and they make CLA war

you will never touch KDE/plasma again.
    Preach, brother. I installed KDE and now my ovaries are full of spike proteins.

Leave a comment:

• drakonas777
    replied
    I see some of you are missing the point. The idea behind this device is to be "handheld PC" capable of running AAA titles. Anything except x86 is not an option. RISC-V would be instant commercial failure since the only use case would be retro games emulation. ARM, on the other hand, would somewhat work only in a tandem with Android, so you could market it like a "Android Game Console", but it would not get a lot of traction, since everyone has a smartphone now and demand for something like Android "with game pads" is super niche. And no, Valve will not go ARM/RISCV/PPC for it in the future, not unless whole AAA game industry goes this route, because they do not have enough gaming IP and studios to push non-x86 gaming handheld via exclusive games like Nintendo does.

Anyway. Deck's hardware/software choices are very good in my mind. Only two shortcomings I could mention are: a) potential proton compatibility issues; b) 8 CUs of RNDA2 in near future potentially can be insufficient even for 720p in a case of AAAs. That's all basically.
    Last edited by drakonas777; 18 July 2021, 03:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    As a pessimist I must tell you, like the steam console, this will have low sales and people will just install dirty windows. If I had made this, it would've been using an ARM CPU as we all know it's the future. I appreciate Valve trying though they are beating a dead horse.
    Gabe Newell has gone around saying that he expects it to sell millions https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-...inful-to-pick/

All I can say is that they must have gotten pre-orders for a massive amount, I wanted to preorder and the Steam site/purchase site was unresponsive the entire time due to being overloaded from demand. I am happy I managed to get one but so far the signs are the opposite, i.e. its quite successful.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    it can't help. non-rolling fedora always has newest kernel drivers.
    Yes but its less supported than Arch (which is rolling by default), Arch gets more testing for its default distribution.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    Arch is rolling release which can help deal with the outdated graphics driver problems (i.e. you get kernel updates sooner)
    it can't help. non-rolling fedora always has newest kernel drivers.

Leave a comment:

• gedgon
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

KDE is the first option, even before GNOME.
    And yet, nothing is preselected.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by gedgon View Post

openSUSE doesn't have a default DE.

KDE is the first option, even before GNOME.

Leave a comment:

• gedgon
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

openSUSE
    openSUSE doesn't have a default DE.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    No reputable workstation linux distro ships KDE by default.
    openSUSE

Leave a comment:

Working...
X