Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
    Tech specs: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

Assuming the ram is single channel, for a device this small.
    I had a misconfigured renoir laptop that was single channel. getting the supplier to set it up dual channel gave a SIGNIFICANT increase in performane. I recorded 78-85% higher framerates from the IGP than before, and that IGP was weaker than this one.
    So I'm pretty sure they used dual channel as the RAM is soldered straight on the motherboard, else this thing's performance will be abysmal.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post

I had a misconfigured renoir laptop that was single channel. getting the supplier to set it up dual channel gave a SIGNIFICANT increase in performane. I recorded 78-85% higher framerates from the IGP than before, and that IGP was weaker than this one.
      So I'm pretty sure they used dual channel as the RAM is soldered straight on the motherboard, else this thing's performance will be abysmal.
      Yup, this is probably number #1 on the charts of the top idiotic things system integraters can do with PC's, they ship it with a single stick of RAM. Even if you have a low amount of ram like a single 8 gig stick its always better to instead ship 2 4 gig sticks.

Comment

That is very nice! Especially the move from Debian to a closer to the edge distro is a fine idea. Steamos is/was a good idea but to slow because of a lot oft outdated drivers and libs. Especially considering that they sitick to older releases.

The only question how is this going to influence their toolchain?
        All the proton runners build sdk's solider helper whatsoever are built around debian (some ultra old Ubuntu 12.04)
        Just digg through the proton build scripts. Sure steam runtime will be AFAIK still standalone and not so much depending on system libs so crossover compatibility might not be very necessary.

I was hopeing for a clearlinux fork adjusted to AMD. But the risk is to high that it one day will break on AMD. And the media codec support is rather bad e.g. for ffmpeg you have to rely on 3th party repos.

None the less they should use the xanmodkernel. It uses also some cl patches and is a very good gaming kernel.
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 15 July 2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          Here I'm still waiting for a decent APU for my desktop. AMD doesn't even sell highend 4000 series APUs to the public, now we see zen+navi+ddr5 damn son...

These devices are looking good and with the global gpu shortage I think it will sell quickly.
          Increased availability of 4000/5000 APUs later this year. The 5000-series desktop APUs will hit retail on August 5th.

GPU prices are coming down and the whole situation will be improved around Q1 2022.

A 6000-series Rembrandt desktop APU may be the one to wait for. If the Van Gogh APU in Steam Deck is up to 1.6 TFLOPS, I expect to see up to 3.5 TFLOPS in the top Rembrandt. That's assuming they can get 12 RDNA 2 CUs to 2.3 GHz.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'm very intrigued by the custom APU, especially considering it uses DDR5. I wasn't expecting to see any DDR5 APUs for over a year from now; interesting how Valve might be getting one out before AMD releases the rest of the lineup.
          The APU is known as "Van Gogh". It's not necessarily customized for Valve, but we'll have to see if it comes to any products from other companies. It will be followed by "Dragon Crest", a refresh likely with the same specs.

LPDDR5 is different from DDR5 in some ways. Should be a great choice for this APU though.

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Yup, this is probably number #1 on the charts of the top idiotic things system integraters can do with PC's, they ship it with a single stick of RAM. Even if you have a low amount of ram like a single 8 gig stick its always better to instead ship 2 4 gig sticks.
          It's 100% bad for people who don't know any better, as it causes a huge performance loss for no obvious reason. It might be great for some people. For example, there were some HP Pavilion 5700G systems earlier this year that shipped with a single stick of 16 GB. You buy and put in your own 16 GB stick, boom, you have a cheap upgrade to 32 GB with no leftover stick.
          Last edited by jaxa; 15 July 2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I want one. This is a dream machine for playing some games on my bed. And based on Arch? AWESOME!

Comment

It can run Crysis.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                That is very nice! Especially the move from Debian to a closer to the edge distro is a fine idea. Steamos is/was a good idea but to slow because of a lot oft outdated drivers and libs. Especially considering that they sitick to older releases.

The only question how is this going to influence their toolchain?
                All the proton runners build sdk's solider helper whatsoever are built around debian (some ultra old Ubuntu 12.04)
                Just digg through the proton build scripts. Sure steam runtime will be AFAIK still standalone and not so much depending on system libs so crossover compatibility might not be very necessary.

I was hopeing for a clearlinux fork adjusted to AMD. But the risk is to high that it one day will break on AMD. And the media codec support is rather bad e.g. for ffmpeg you have to rely on 3th party repos.

None the less they should use the xanmodkernel. It uses also some cl patches and is a very good gaming kernel.
                I've been running proton games on arch for a while no problems in that department. I did find other issues like dbus compatibility problems but no proton/build tools related things.

Comment

That thing looks pretty cool. Also I love how they weren't stingy on the RAM. 16GB. That should allow pretty much any PC game to run on it. Sweet device.

And unlike the Steam Controller, this thing will have a proper plus-shaped D-pad. 😍 Thank you, Valve!

Comment

The only thing I think I miss that would have made the device perfect is if it had an OLED screen like the new Nintendo Switch Pro, that would put the device in a league of its own (even if it is only for the higher tier variants).

Once you go to OLED you cannot go back
                    Last edited by mdedetrich; 15 July 2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Nice touch by Valve.

Comment

Working...
                      X