Zink Now Supports OpenGL ES 3.2 Over Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

Unfortunately no, Zink actually downgrades OpenGL ES on the Raspberry Pi 4, from ES 3.1 to ES 2.0. Zink doesn't create new capabilities, and it depends on extensions in the Vulkan driver it's running on to work. Some Vulkan features just aren't possible to implement in the VideoCore hardware, so Zink won't be able to be full-featured on that hardware unless the v3dv driver emulates those extensions in software.

That said, I'm very excited by Zink in general, as I think it can potentially simplify the stack by allowing vendors and developers to focus on Vulkan drivers, knowing that Zink will handle OpenGL.
    that one IS a vulkan limit. the raspi4 gpu supports GLES 3.2 functionality.

"The GPU bundled with Raspberry Pi 4 is a VideoCore VI capable of OpenGL ES 3.2, a significant step above the VideoCore IV present in Raspberry Pi 3"

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

that one IS a vulkan limit. the raspi4 gpu supports GLES 3.2 functionality.

"The GPU bundled with Raspberry Pi 4 is a VideoCore VI capable of OpenGL ES 3.2, a significant step above the VideoCore IV present in Raspberry Pi 3"

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/vc4...-pi-an-update/
      I know the Raspberry Pi announcement says the VideoCore VI can do OpenGL ES 3.2, but the Khronos conformance page and MesaMatrix have it maxing-out at 3.1. I'm not sure where the 3.2 information came from, but I think the hardware might fall just short of being able to do OpenGL ES 3.2. In either case, Zink seems to depend on some Vulkan features that v3dv doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I know the Raspberry Pi announcement says the VideoCore VI can do OpenGL ES 3.2, but the Khronos conformance page and MesaMatrix have it maxing-out at 3.1. I'm not sure where the 3.2 information came from, but I think the hardware might fall just short of being able to do OpenGL ES 3.2. In either case, Zink seems to depend on some Vulkan features that v3dv doesn't have.
        Those don't judge by hardware but driver conformancy. and mesa matrix only tracks extensions being supported, not hardware support. Vulkan on the raspi 4 is still very much in its infancy. as it doesn't even reach 1.1 conformancy. and only reached 1.0 conformancy last year. and most of the work is being done on reaching 1.1 conformancy. (it's close) but some is still on extensions. Zink 3.0 requires two optional extensions;Neither of which, I know the viability of. And it was only in februrary that Rpi4 gained support for necessary Device feature Independant blend. so who knows, maybe zink isn't hardware limited, maybe it is. A vulkan dev would need to ask. I wish we could just use lavapipe for everything missing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I thought I had read somewhere that vulkan would be able to simulate/emulate the render target issue. however that might have been within a personal discussion. but I had been under the assumption that it was a solved issue, but thinking harder on where I heard it. it was likely a non-professional discussion
          Somethings probably can be emulateed in one way or another but I'm not sure if everything will be possible to emulate. Mobile GPUs are not really designed to run APIs provided by desktop GPUs. OpenGL also wasn't designed with mobile GPUs in mind. That's why OpenGL ES was created.

Comment

Working...
          X