Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink Now Supports OpenGL ES 3.2 Over Vulkan

Phoronix: Zink Now Supports OpenGL ES 3.2 Over Vulkan

The latest achievement for Mesa's generic OpenGL implementation atop Vulkan is being able to handle OpenGL ES 3.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have never used Zink and don't see much use cases for me, but I have to admit Mike Blumenkrantz has quite a fast pace! Great to have such projects and skilled devs.

Comment

Interestingly this would allow Raspberry PI 4s to run OGL ES 3.2 despite there native driver only implementing 3.1. Not to mention that that they don't even qualify for regular OpenGL 3.0 where Zink would allow them to run 4.6. Qualcomm chips are only at OpenGL 3.3 but implements enough to run Zink as well.

Comment

AJenbo if that's accurate, then we already have a highly available hardware where Zink fulfilled its mission of delivering (more) OpenGL support where the underlying hardware has mature (enough) support for Vulkan... awesome!

Blumenkrantz is a machine!!!

Comment

Great, so now Zink both have OpenGL 4.6 (latest) and OpenGL ES 3.2 (latest), that is great!

Would it be possible for Zink to also support OpenCL over Vulkan?
          Is that in consideration or is that out-of-scope for the project?

Are there any remaining performance optimizations?
          Now with 4.6 and 3.2 support, what is left? What is the roadmap? What does the future hold for Zink?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Great, so now Zink both have OpenGL 4.6 (latest) and OpenGL ES 3.2 (latest), that is great!

Are there any remaining performance optimizations?
            Now with 4.6 and 3.2 support, what is left? What is the roadmap? What does the future hold for Zink?
            Pardon the reorder. Yes there will be performance optimisations. Also having 4.6 and 3.2 there are still extentions to opengl and opengl es that are not covered by those release numbers. There is 9 extensions that different native opengl drivers implement that Zink does support yet. There 14 extensions total that Mesa drivers have implemented a collective that zink does not have. Then there are 8 more that Mesa has never implemented skipping the 2 win32 only ones.

Basically there is a total pool of 24 more opengl/opengl es extensions that could be implemented yet.

Still this is ahead of llvmpipe.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Would it be possible for Zink to also support OpenCL over Vulkan?
            Is that in consideration or is that out-of-scope for the project?

I would not say out of consideration as the developer behind Zink talks about it here. Before Zink can be used with clover lot of the optional extensions to opengl will have to be done. Then you have the issues of how problem child mesa clover implementation of OpenCL is.

Zink having decent opencl support that going to be a lot slower process than implementing opengl.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              Interestingly this would allow Raspberry PI 4s to run OGL ES 3.2 despite there native driver only implementing 3.1. Not to mention that that they don't even qualify for regular OpenGL 3.0 where Zink would allow them to run 4.6. Qualcomm chips are only at OpenGL 3.3 but implements enough to run Zink as well.
              OpenGL 3.3 is the cutoff point after which you get diminishing returns when implementing more. Sure there are software that requires or supports newer stuff but at the same you get a huge coverage with just 3.3

Comment

Nice.
                Soon, time to drop OGL drivers and focus on Vulkan drivers/Zink only.
                I know it's way too early to do it, but I am happy that it's the direction it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  Wouldn't be so sure about it. If GPU is not capable of running recent OpenGL version then Zink won't change that. As far I know there was attempt to run Zink on Raspberry Pi and it was limited to OpenGL 2.x due to lack of GPU capability to support newest OpenGL versions. Videocore VI is still mobile GPU after all.

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
                    Blumenkrantz is a machine!!!
                    Yes, just look at this wall of commits. Holy f*ck. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/zmike

Comment

Working...
                    X