Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VKD3D-Proton 2.4 Released With Better Performance, Sparse 3D Textures

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VKD3D-Proton 2.4 Released With Better Performance, Sparse 3D Textures

    Phoronix: VKD3D-Proton 2.4 Released With Better Performance, Sparse 3D Textures

    VKD3D-Proton 2.4 is now available as the latest feature release for this Direct3D 12 over Vulkan implementation that is part of Valve's Proton / Steam Play for running modern Windows games on Linux...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...D3D-Proton-2.4

  • #2
    Ahhh so much love for Valve and the developers working on these projects! You guys rock!!

    Comment


    • #3
      i wonder if this will improve battlefield v performance. on linux, with the same graphical settings (max), i get around 70-100fps less compared to windows. on windows i'll be capped out at 200fps most of the time with drops to around 170-160fps. while on linux i'll get around 100-70fps. this is with a 5800x, 6900xt, and sam enabled at 1440p. still decent performance, but hugely less than windows.

      Comment


      • #4
        How fast is VKD3D compared to native DirectX 12 on Windows 10?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by middy View Post
          i wonder if this will improve battlefield v performance. on linux, with the same graphical settings (max), i get around 70-100fps less compared to windows. on windows i'll be capped out at 200fps most of the time with drops to around 170-160fps. while on linux i'll get around 100-70fps. this is with a 5800x, 6900xt, and sam enabled at 1440p. still decent performance, but hugely less than windows.
          Such a huge perf diff is unusual. I tried bf1 and the perf diff was by far not as big. Have you reported the issue in the github issue tracker ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by christian_frank View Post

            Such a huge perf diff is unusual. I tried bf1 and the perf diff was by far not as big. Have you reported the issue in the github issue tracker ?
            no.... but i did update my prefix from proton-ge 6.10 to the new 6.12 which has the updated vkd3d. dx12 mode still causes the game to crash for me anytime loading into a game or having X minutes in the menu. dx11 is the only one playable and the fps is still the same with the updated dxvk version that 6.12 comes with. for fun, i tried setting all the settings to low and i get the same identical performance on low as i do on ultra. which leads me to believe its not a gpu problem... i think there's a massive cpu bottleneck somewhere.

            if i was to file a github issue, who would i file it with?

            Comment


            • #7
              Just compared Horizon Zero Dawn with the latest stable proton vs experimental (vkd3d-proton 2.4) and I'm seeing an increase of ~18% in avg frame rates. Impressive!

              Proton 6.3 stable
              AVG 57 fps (Max 114 Min 27)
              CPU FPS 59 GPU FPS 60
              95% 45 95% 46
              99% 33 99% 34

              Proton 6.3 experimental (vkd3d-proton 2.4)
              AVG 69 fps (Max 116 Min 36)
              CPU FPS 72 GPU FPS 74
              95% 60 95% 66
              99% 54 99% 58

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by middy View Post
                no.... but i did update my prefix from proton-ge 6.10 to the new 6.12 which has the updated vkd3d. dx12 mode still causes the game to crash for me anytime loading into a game or having X minutes in the menu. dx11 is the only one playable and the fps is still the same with the updated dxvk version that 6.12 comes with. for fun, i tried setting all the settings to low and i get the same identical performance on low as i do on ultra. which leads me to believe its not a gpu problem... i think there's a massive cpu bottleneck somewhere.

                if i was to file a github issue, who would i file it with?

                I have similar issues in DX11 games. Wine + DXVK or with the latest stable/experimental proton. Using Mesa with a RX480. Regardless of in game settings, I still get low performance (sometimes half of what I get under Windows).
                One thing I have noticed is that GPU usage with said games varies wildly and GPU power usage is suspiciously low. For example running Shadow of the Tomb Raider with Feral's Vulkan renderer it pegs my GPU at 100% and power usage hovers at around 150-160W, but if I switch to Proton using DX11, GPU usages starts jumping from 70-100% with power usage at 90-100W. Same deal with Kingdom Come Deliverance with Wine + DXVK, another DX11 game where my GPU hardly sees 100% usage and power rarely exceeds 120W. For some reason the GPU is severely underutilized with those games.

                Comment


                • #9
                  so an update with bf:v regarding dx12 mode, latest proton-ge 6.13 that ships with a newer vkd3d i've been able to play a few games now in dx12 mode with vkd3d. performance is MUCH better compared to dxvk. its almost windows like. but it still has the tendency to crash, but no where near as bad. before i couldn't even play a round or two. another thing, i did try it with VKD3D_CONFIG=upload_hvv enabled in steam launcher to enable the resizable bar patches, but it caused my amdgpu driver to crash with a ring crash.

                  though vkd3d works wonderfully well in world of warcraft shadowlands and classic with both in dx12 mode. much better performance than dxvk. its like if i was running WoW on windows.
                  Last edited by middy; 27 July 2021, 04:12 AM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X