Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mozo
    replied
    Leave them poor Microsoft advertisers to live in the past.

Leave a comment:

• ezst036
    replied
    Originally posted by avem View Post
    Windows is a breeze to install and I've seen non-IT people do that without any issues as long as you hand them a USB flash drive.
    Linux is easier to install than Windows. With what the Ubuntus and Fedoras and many others have done, you have to actively hunt out a difficult distro to get a horrible install experience. The old days of Linux on the command line are simply over. Using commands be it FDISK or PART or any other, those have been gone for years.

And if you come to find out that your motherboard doesn't support TPM while trying to install Windows 11, then Linux is light years ahead of windows in terms of easy of use on the clean install. At that point, Linux blows Windows out of the water.

Leave a comment:

• mozo
    replied
    Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

LOL D

My Linux Mint when updated 19 -> 20 crashed totally and i must resistal.

Not only me (see in comments section):

How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20 – The Linux Mint Blog

On Mint 20, I added caja-share for smb GUI, but system totally ignored what will I set via GUI. So, I must set manully via etc/smb.conf.

For me Linux is much more problematic and needing attention than Windows which has been working properly for years and I only read about the problems of others.
    Yet another good joke. Mint is kids distribution, don't blame Linux for Mint's flaws.

Leave a comment:

• mozo
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Yeah with laptops (and even desktop motherboards now) having Secure Boot enabled by default (plus typically need some other bios settings, i.e. sleep style for Lenovo laptops) this is complete crap.

You missed the whole "regardless of distribution part" (and I do run arch/Manjaro btw)
    Almost every modern distro supports Secure Boot. And Secure Boot was invented by Microsoft, so...

Leave a comment:

• HEL88
    replied
    Originally posted by mozo View Post

Good joke. Linux was always "install and forget about it" unlike Windows. And Linux automatically installs and upgrades the drivers for decades. Educate yourself.
    LOL D

My Linux Mint when updated 19 -> 20 crashed totally and i must resistal.

Not only me (see in comments section):

How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20 – The Linux Mint Blog

On Mint 20, I added caja-share for smb GUI, but system totally ignored what will I set via GUI. So, I must set manully via etc/smb.conf.

For me Linux is much more problematic and needing attention than Windows which has been working properly for years and I only read about the problems of others.

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied
    Originally posted by ServerGarbage View Post

What distro do you use? I said something strange is happening too but I don't think it's some kind of conspiracy. It could be just a bug on many pieces of software, or it even could be i'm just a stupid human falling on my bias.
    Ubuntu. Since Steam started - 8+ years ago - I got the survey maybe 20 times. I do log in frequently. Not every day, but nearly.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied

Linux is far more easier to install. And without a single restart. Windows is a mess, do not advertise this garbage heap here.
    Yeah with laptops (and even desktop motherboards now) having Secure Boot enabled by default (plus typically need some other bios settings, i.e. sleep style for Lenovo laptops) this is complete crap.

Install Arch, it's flexible enough. I have being gaming for 15 years on Linux, the experience is great.
    You missed the whole "regardless of distribution part" (and I do run arch/Manjaro btw)
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 02 July 2021, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mozo
    replied
    Originally posted by avem View Post

Windows is a breeze to install and I've seen non-IT people do that without any issues as long as you hand them a USB flash drive.
    Linux is far more easier to install. And without a single restart. Windows is a mess, do not advertise this garbage heap here.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post

The (GPU) driver handling (and implementations) are certainly better on Linux vs Win. Who wants to manually maintain a driver?
    And if anything, only Nvidia drivers come with a gotchas on Linux. Who should we blame?
    You clearly haven't played any recently released AAA games on Linux. Its not uncommon that Linux can only handle such games after they have been worked on/patched in Wine/Proton and until everyone finally moves to a newer kernel that can run the game well because they need the latest in tree graphics driver.

On windows you just go to NVidia/AMD and download/update the latest driver (in fact both of these companies have drivers that also auto check for updates).

The context of the thread/article is not about basic desktop environments where someone is just using a browser (and even that has problems, wayland/pipewire anyone?)
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 02 July 2021, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BesiegedAce
    replied
    Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    so why Valve inc. is still pushing so much effort for linux support?
    It's a long term plan. Good insurance for when Windows really shits the bed for good. Whenever that'll be. Plus it's not like they have to answer to shareholders or are hurting for cash.

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

why? Valve makes money with linux gaming, 0.9 is likely millions of profit every year and a alternative if something goes wrong with windows and mac(this is only a matter of time to stop having steam).
    This too. People see '0.9%' and think "oh that's barely anything." They don't realize that Steam's active userbase is massive. 0.9% of 100 million is still almost a million users.
    Last edited by BesiegedAce; 02 July 2021, 01:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X