Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Dota 2 Adds AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

Phoronix: Valve's Dota 2 Adds AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

Valve's Dota 2 game is the latest adding support for AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution and the first time having a Linux-native game support FSR for enhanced image upscaling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Competition begins...
    Let's hope this FSR thing is adopted by more game studios (especially the ones who have been baited by the green side...)

Comment

Sadly, lack of temporal component means it has no chance of competing with DLSS and will always look like shit quality-wise.

Not sure what they were thinking. Many games feature custom temporal antialiasing solutions that look better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Competition begins...
        Let's hope this FSR thing is adopted by more game studios (especially the ones who have been baited by the green side...)
        You mean paid. AAA developing these days is complex and expensive enough without experimental proprietary features. Nvidia is famous for sending their minions to implement their stuff in selected, high profile titles.

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post
          Sadly, lack of temporal component means it has no chance of competing with DLSS and will always look like shit quality-wise.
          Not sure what they were thinking.
          It is a solution that works without the ridiculous processing power of the RTX tensor cores. I don't know if it still uses neural networks or if they somehow found a way to make it look this good with just classical algorithms, but it is impressive either way.

Many games feature custom temporal antialiasing solutions that look better than this.
          I don't know why you compare antialiasing with super resolution. Antialiasing through 2x downscaling also looks better than FSR, it just has the exact opposite effect on your frame rate, it will halve it (or worse) instead of doubling it.

Comment

Not sure what they were thinking. Many games feature custom temporal antialiasing solutions that look better than this.
            Is that you Alex*? OMG! I didn't know you were a Linux enthusiast! Good to see you here evangelizing the Linux crowd too! I feel so special now...

*Digital Foundry's Nvidia fanboy.

Comment

I saw comparison of different quality modes for several Windows games and it's not bad at all! Especially the Ultra Quality on 4K is hard to distinguish so I found the opinion that it looks shitty a bit of overstatement. Besides it is far better than simply upscaling it or using some post-processing sharpening and far better than 1st gen of DLSS so totally better than nothing. Besides, it's way more accessible than DLSS, because it supports a lot more hardware and is open by design. We'll see, but it has a chance to really compete with NV solution.

Comment

I think you are missing an important point... even if it looks like poo to some people.... most people cant afford or find a new video card.... if there is a tech that will slightly decrease image quality but boost your fps to 50% that would be a huge help to people waiting for that next video card upgrade... imagine how many video cards will be delayed from going into land fills now that your video card just got a new breath of life... honestly i dont see why AMD would even offer this since this may translate to less sales but since they cant keep these cards in stock i dont think its a big issue right now

Comment

I tried it and it mostly just looks like CAS on steroids, which is bad. Lesson: Don't wait for AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    I tried it and it mostly just looks like CAS on steroids, which is bad. Lesson: Don't wait for AMD.
                    That is exactly what I wanted. I have 5700XT and 4K monitor mainly for work but sometimes for games. I finished the whole Cyberpunk 2077 at 70% CAS scale (2688x1512 -> 3840x2160) and if FSR is even a bit better (which it is) it's a major win in my book.

Comment

Working...
                    X