Left 4 Dead 2 Vulkan Performance With Radeon Graphics On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Could we get the tests with regards to older hardware? It feels a bit uninteresting to go from 350 to 370 fps, but 60 to 70 fps on older hardware is a nice gain.
    Expecially if it boosts the lowest framerates and decreases frame-drops.
    Or just an APU. Maybe even test Intel vs AMD integrated graphics on it.

Comment

would be much appreciated if the use of red and green graph colours could be avoided, difficult on the eyes for those of use with red-green colour blindness.

Comment

Originally posted by 900k View Post
        would be much appreciated if the use of red and green graph colours could be avoided, difficult on the eyes for those of use with red-green colour blindness.
        I sent the following link to Michael a while back to ask if he could incorporate this type of graph: https://isfreenodedeadyet.com/

Those graphs are wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
          Any idea why my vulkan performance is less than 1/3 that of OpenGL ?
          https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...IB-L4D2VULKA83
          Hi Soul_keeper ,
          you are very unlucky, on XPS13 / Ubuntu + XFCE, I can see +50% in performance:
          OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

For those who wants to run benchmarks on Left 4 Dead 2,
            Check this page for good deals.
            Enjoy

Comment

Vulkan has always been slower than OpenGL in dota2, for me, as well.
              https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...IB-DOTAVULKA93

I updated some software and reran the l4d2 benchmarks, OpenGL is still over 3x faster than Vulkan.
              OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Maybe because of what video card I have ?
              Last edited by Soul_keeper; 18 July 2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I'm curious if anyone else can duplicate these results. I suspect that the Vega FE, being a workstation card, might be optimized in a way that favors the OpenGL.

It appears that I am seeing the same issue another poster had with vsync on nvidia.
                The vulkan presentation mode is getting locked somehow.

Super Slow:
                vkcube
                Selected GPU 0: AMD RADV VEGA10 (LLVM 12.0.1), type: 2

Super Fast:
                vkcube --present_mode VK_PRESENT_MODE_FIFO_KHR
                Selected GPU 0: AMD RADV VEGA10 (LLVM 12.0.1), type: 2

Yet, in both cases it claims to be running the same type 2 mode.

After googling more, vsync just don't work right on many setups with Vulkan.
                Last edited by Soul_keeper; 25 July 2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I dunno what's going on with this, but my performance sucks with l4d2 after this update.
                  It used to be around 166FPS with OpenGL.

Now it is more like 38FPS with OpenGL and 51FPS with Vulkan.

Anyone with a vega10 card care to compare results ?
                  I'd love to figure this out, not so much to play it. I just love to actually learn or understand a problem. It has been months of just not being able to track this issue down.

Possibly new extensions being used now that cause performance to drop ?
                  New kernel, llvm, or mesa versions are just worse maybe ?

I tried compiling dxvk from source out of curiousity, the performance difference was only 1 or 2fps however.
                  I've compiled various 32-bit mesa versions with different build options. That's why A, B, C, D in the above pts benchmark link.

Comment

The card must have been faulty. It fails to boot now. I think the fan failed and it overheated.

I put my old radeon 7870 in and it gets:
                    58fps OpenGL 45fps Vulkan
                    compared to the Vega10
                    38FPS OpenGL 51FPS Vulkan

Comment

Working...
                    X