Cedega 7.1.1 Released With New Game Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by remm View Post
    Is anyone actually buying this stuff ? If I'm out there for proprietary code to run my games, I prefer running XP ... Less troubles, more fun
    Personal experience with Cedega: It sucks totally. Just look at the amount of pissed people at their forums (and the low amount of people in general).

A copy of crossover games would be the best way to go. If you want to run windows games on Linux.

For me, I am done with running Windows games on Linux, and Windows games on Windows. PC titles are in such a bad shape that they won't even run good on Windows. Not mentioning the games like Fallout 3 which have the hideous windows live system attached to them.

Furthermore, Svartalf said some intelligent things about why you shouldn't buy Windows games for your Linux machine on these forums. I suggest you look them up and think about them.
    Last edited by MaestroMaus; 04 April 2009, 04:12 AM.

Comment

I dumped money into cedega for almost 2 years and never saw one bit of progress, and no responses from any developers. Then, Codeweaver's releases Crossover with TF2 support, so i gladly gave my money to them and have been nothing but pleased. The results speak for themselves, the developers are accessable, and the company directly gives back to Wine.

For curiosity, I downloaded the "demo" of cedega a month ago to see how far it has gotten, and it couldn't run anything for me, not one game. On the same system, crossover games is running TF2 great.

And, the news recently that Codeweavers are working on a new GUI for crossover, which should make Cedega all but redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
        Thats simply not true.

The certified games run really well in cedega.
        If you really ever tried a certified game (and i doubt you did) you also could have called support in case of problems.
        But if am wrong and you tried one, which one was it and which probs did you have ?
        I did try it when I first switched to linux and shortly stop after realising firstly: it is shit and secondly that supporting windows games is supporting windows, something I would rather not do. This was a fair while ago though so I can't tell you what the exact problems were and with which games as my memory isn't that good.
        But you need only look at EVE where people started using wine instead of the official linux client (a Transgaming implementation) to the point where they dropped support for it.

Comment

For curiosity, I downloaded the "demo" of cedega a month ago to see how far it has gotten, and it couldn't run anything for me, not one game. On the same system, crossover games is running TF2 great.

And, the news recently that Codeweavers are working on a new GUI for crossover, which should make Cedega all but redundant.

The demo you tried will only run the spore demo, nothing else.
          Thats how the demo is designed.Therefore none of your other games worked
          with the demo..

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
            The demo you tried will only run the spore demo, nothing else.
            Thats how the demo is designed.Therefore none of your other games worked
            with the demo..
            Kind of useless as a demo...unless you've got Spore.

Quite honestly, with the DRM, etc. I don't think all too many people have that title in the Linux-using community for the sorts of problems Spore has and presents.

I would have thought Gavriel would have done a time-limited thing instead of what he did manage. If you can't manage to allow someone to try your wares out on more than just one game, when it comes to things like CrossOver or Cedega, you've got issues.

Now...I don't advocate going willy-nilly and buying Windows titles and running them under Wine as it contributes to the problem, not fixes it. Wine in it's varying forms is really an answer for things you had in hand on Windows before going over to Linux and for things you have to run in it because of Work, etc. As for Cedega, it didn't strike me as being overly useful to myself- it couldn't properly run the games I had on hand when they first came out with their product, it couldn't do it when they came out with Cedega, and it couldn't do it about 8 months ago. Unlike, however, straight-up WINE from the community, which could at least mostly run things like Tropico well enough to play it if you were persistent and could ignore the glitches.

Yes, I was a paid up subscriber, not once, not twice, but three times. Now, perhaps they're doing better these days, but considering that CCP dropped the "port" of EVE Online, that Transgaming was paid to provide and maintain, for WINE mainline- that should be something of a hint.

Comment

Working...
            X