Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DXVK-NVAPI 0.3 Released For Being Able To Expose More Of NVIDIA's Public API Within Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK-NVAPI 0.3 Released For Being Able To Expose More Of NVIDIA's Public API Within Steam Play

Phoronix: DXVK-NVAPI 0.3 Released For Being Able To Expose More Of NVIDIA's Public API Within Steam Play

A new release is now available of DXVK-NVAPI, the currently separate portion from DXVK that provides an experimental implementation of NVIDIA's NVAPI for Direct3D 11 games using this public NVIDIA driver API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

if only Nvidia has basic open-source driver without proprietary API to run OpenGL/Vulkan at full speed and support Wayland like normal driver

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      if only Nvidia has basic open-source driver without proprietary API to run OpenGL/Vulkan at full speed and support Wayland like normal driver
      Well, the customer has decided thanks to the invisible hand of capitalism that wisely regulates the market. Nvidia on linux is very popular. Or can it ... can it be ... that the average user does no even consider these things?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Well, the customer has decided thanks to the invisible hand of capitalism that wisely regulates the market. Nvidia on linux is very popular. Or can it ... can it be ... that the average user does no even consider these things?
        It's like as much as I like and use AMD products for myself I'd still put an NVIDIA GPU in a system I was building for friends or family. Simply put: NVIDIA has better software than AMD...gaming and professional use. AMD CPUs all day long. Depending on the person I'd hesitate about AMD GPUs. The more of a gamer or pro they are the less I'd want to recommend AMD GPUs for them. Granted that we'd have to rob a bank to get a GPU to build a PC right now, but I digress.

My biggest complaint I have for AMD is their software. All that open source stuff is nice and all but I'd rather have a control panel and more gaming features like NVIDIA offers; like how they basically have Reshade built-in to their driver. No reason AMD can't offer something similar. It's FOSS. That's more of a Windows geared reason, but the same thing is true for Linux in regards to features and control panels.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          My biggest complaint I have for AMD is their software. All that open source stuff is nice and all but I'd rather have a control panel and more gaming features like NVIDIA offers; like how they basically have Reshade built-in to their driver. No reason AMD can't offer something similar. It's FOSS. That's more of a Windows geared reason, but the same thing is true for Linux in regards to features and control panels.
          I'll never be able to understand that urge for a control panel. Even when I had nvidia graphics some years ago I never used it. For me those are basically useless 99% of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I'll never be able to understand that urge for a control panel. Even when I had nvidia graphics some years ago I never used it. For me those are basically useless 99% of time.
            Because I'd rather have software from Official AMD Engineers over Some Github Person in regards to overclocking my hardware, setting fan profiles, reading sensor output, etc.

On Windows I only have to use the AMD Control Panel once for Global Settings and occasionally I turn off integer scaling for the per-game that my 580 can run 4K native. Before my TV had a firmware update I used it to tweak the Contrast, Saturation, and Gamma levels my TV couldn't get quite right (due to HDR; no issues on Linux). On a few older games I've had to use AA overrides and on newer games I've had to use Reshade and other hooks because anything other than DX9 is

On Linux I need to have an extra window manager to handle integer scaling, a program to handle gaming related settings, a program to handle hardware settings, etc. I'm sure you can see the appeal in being able to use one program to set a few unified profiles over multiple programs that do their own things and may or may not have any profile support or may not be updated for the long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Agreed 1000%. I just want my GPU to work and play games, I don't want to fiddle with settings all day.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Agreed 1000%. I just want my GPU to work and play games, I don't want to fiddle with settings all day.
                And when it doesn't work I don't want to have to fiddle with the command line

Comment

Originally posted by jacek23
                  As a side not who should decide about graphic cards design choice if not people who buy them?
                  I was wondering if you were going to completely miss the point until your last sentence. But first, the customer does not make a choice in most cases. Second, the decision is primarily guided by lower motivations like can I run my pointless game tonight and do I get 123 fps instead of 118fps - and that's sadly already the level of an informed nerd. Third, the free market is as a consequence not able to regulate companies that are detrimental for progress and society.
                  The american delusion of free market is a bubble that already has burst and invented by the beneficiaries in the first place ...

Comment

Working...
                  X