X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xeekei
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Why the heck is this still GL and not Vulkan with proper multi threading +optimized input lag?
    While I agree they're working slowly; they have to be careful with porting CSGO, since they'd need to abondon the Havok physics engine for a new custom one. They need to preserve grenade throws and other highly precise physics things, or the pros won't switch.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    If I were Valve, I'd never allow Linux gamers on official servers, period.
    Haha, how to start a fight on a Linux forum...

Why the heck is this still GL and not Vulkan with proper multi threading +optimized input lag?
    It's an older game on the older Source 1 engine. If Valve ports it over to the newer Source 2 engine (which runs Half Life Alyx) then native Vulkan support will be there. Recently we have also some they did bring Vulkan to the Source 1 engine using wrappers on Portal 2, not as good as the Source 2 implementation but faster than OpenGL.
    Last edited by humbug; 21 May 2021, 10:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim85 View Post

this seems like a troll, but I'll bite.

Wouldn't all the effort to sandbox linux apps, and even valve's own sandbox technology make Linux a better platform. The sandbox essentially making it a very verifiable system?
    The issue is that Linux grants the computer's owner more sovereignty over what they paid for, allowing them more power to hook in and virtualize at a level below the sandbox.

That's why things like Intel ME and AMD PSP are so evil. They're essentially doing an end-run around that by building a hypervisor into the CPU and not giving the owner of the hardware access to the root domain.
    Last edited by ssokolow; 20 May 2021, 10:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Grim85
    replied
    Linux will most likely forever remain a third class platform for esports because there's no way you can verify the integrity of the system unless you've created it yourself, e.g. SteamMachine which has long been deprecated. In Linux it's far too easy to make any modifications to the system without your game knowing anything about them. Not that the Linux community cares about this one bit.

In Windows/Mac OS there's a central signing authority, the companies behind them, so you can at least have some semblance of a pristine system when you're booting with UEFI enabled and there are no 3d party MOK keys installed.

In Linux? Do anything you want. Change the kernel, glibc, recompile Mesa, alter shaders, game assets and code - this all can be done without any traces.

this seems like a troll, but I'll bite.

Wouldn't all the effort to sandbox linux apps, and even valve's own sandbox technology make Linux a better platform. The sandbox essentially making it a very verifiable system?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    You are a Windows elitist confirmed. And yet you say this:

Also, I've never shilled for any corporation, so please gently bugger off.
    This seems like it if you only want Windows gamers on their servers.

No more birdie-ing around from this point onward.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

I don't see all the cheaters flocking to Linux to unravel all the cheating power you talk about. They don't need to. Cheating on PC is easy, period. If Valve cared that much, they would be working on a console-like closed platform.

There are better ways to counter cheating, and they are constantly working on it. It's easy to behaviorally identify cheaters. Cheaters are customers like everyone else and there's no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to play, as long as they are only matched with other cheaters all is fine.

I don't even know why I'm answering a known notorious troll, though.
    Really?

You must have been living under the rock. Cheating in CSGO is blatant and rampant even on VAC secure servers and then we have this:

Also make sure you've paid https://www.reddit.com/r/VACsucks/ a visit. Will open your eyes. There's lots of low-quality posts in it and baseless accusations but many are very truthful, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/VACsucks/co...icheat_system/

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    There's a good chance the Portal 2 Vulkan setup was a test to see if they could do the same for CS:GO, after all, super high framerates/low latency in Portal are kinda pointless, but would make more sense as a pilot for CS:GO and such.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

I don't see all the cheaters flocking to Linux to unravel all the cheating power you talk about. They don't need to. Cheating on PC is easy, period. If Valve cared that much, they would be working on a console-like closed platform.
    Yeah. If anything, they're going to stick to Windows to try and blend in more with normal players, rather than going over to Linux and sticking out more.

Any type of real highly effective anti-cheat system has to live entirely on the server side or live on an entirely locked down console. The former would probably mean a large redesign for older games like CSGO, and the audience of CSGO gamers wouldn't much care for the latter.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 20 May 2021, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Linux will most likely forever remain a third class platform for esports because there's no way you can verify the integrity of the system unless you've created it yourself, e.g. SteamMachine which has long been deprecated. In Linux it's far too easy to make any modifications to the system without your game knowing anything about them. Not that the Linux community cares about this one bit.

In Windows/Mac OS there's a central signing authority, the companies behind them, so you can at least have some semblance of a pristine system when you're booting with UEFI enabled and there are no 3d party MOK keys installed.

In Linux? Do anything you want. Change the kernel, glibc, recompile Mesa, alter shaders, game assets and code - this all can be done without any traces.

There are better ways to counter cheating, and they are constantly working on it. It's easy to behaviorally identify cheaters. Cheaters are customers like everyone else and there's no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to play, as long as they are only matched with other cheaters all is fine.

I don't even know why I'm answering a known notorious troll, though.

Leave a comment:

• Nocifer
    replied

Thank God you're not Valve then.

By the way, tell me birdie, is there anything at all that you like or at least find tolerable about Linux and the open source paradigm? Or would you rather we close up shop, go home and be content with our consoles and Windows and Mac OSes?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X