Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daemon Engine 0.52 Beta Continues Advancing The id Tech 3 Open-Source Code In 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Engine 0.52 Beta Continues Advancing The id Tech 3 Open-Source Code In 2021

Phoronix: Daemon Engine 0.52 Beta Continues Advancing The id Tech 3 Open-Source Code In 2021

The Daemon engine that has been in development for many years as part of the Unvanquished open-source game project released their long-awaited 0.52 beta ahead of the game's next beta later in the week. Daemon was originally based on the open-source id Tech 3 game engine but in 2021 continues pushing ahead working on features like WebAssembly support and renderer enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks to John Carmack and his affection to open source!

Comment

It seems to have neither OpenGL 4 nor Vulkan support.

I wish the id Tech 5 or 6 the engines would get released as open source, but that is not likely to happen since id Software is nowadays owned by ZeniMax Media. 😢

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        But have you read their blog post in full? They are achieving pretty amazing things nonetheless. They have stellar hardware support spanning multiple generations and seem to take testing more seriously than AMD themselves.

I wish the id Tech 5 or 6 the engines would get released as open source, but that is not likely to happen since id Software is nowadays owned by ZeniMax Media. 😢
        True. Many game developers would surely learn a lot from whatever the Doom guys are doing nowadays.

Comment

We still have a lot of things doable just with OpenGL 3, so no need to raise the limit for now. 🙂

Oh yes, that would be interesting to look at some of those techs. 😁

Comment

I think it is great that guys are keeping this stuff maintained (and improved). Just because it was originally written a while back, doesn't make it any worse than stuff coming out today. In many ways, it can look and run better. It is also great that it doesn't always require the latest consumer hardware.

Comment

Working...
            X