Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 21.x Seems To Muck Up Gamers' Trust Factor For Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

If you look at the original patch, it was a configuration (dri.conf?) specifically for CS:GO enabling the threading by default, so it makes sense rolling back the change
    Yes... I get that part. But the patch itself doesn't bring any problem to the system itself right? So the patch (or mesa for that matter) isn't the problem. It's their system.

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
      How do you know your Trust Factor?

I have never seen it in CS:GO anywhere. Is it more about "assuming" it is lowered, because of shittier teams you are put in?
      If you play in a team, your mates will receive a message about you, there's two warnings, a yellow (bit lower) and red (a lot lower).

I'm who reported to Mesa referring to the bug on CS git. To be fair, I felt bad by reporting, it wasn't my intention to cause annoyance, I was just appointing to a possible error to investigating, but look like I created some frustration. I play with the same people, and suddenly they start to receive red warnings about me (they use Windows), the only thing that happened is that I updated my system (to mesa 21) between the days, so I notice that issue on github and reported to them, as there's some Valve's employees collaborating with mesa, maybe they can help.

To be fair, my suspect isn't glthread, it was the radeonsi_clamp_div_by_zero which was added too, but again, I don't have how to proof.

Concluding: I created a new account and disabled those variables, and my trust on this new account is high. So now I have an account with 10 years, 1000 hours of CS with bad trust and a new with higher trust. This system is a joke.[1]

Valve helps a lot Linux gaming overall, but the CSGO development treat us like shit, they can't even fix the -nojoy issue for years, they can't even make VAC support Proton, now some rolling release distros can't run the game (I'm running it on Flatpak) and now this. So yeah, this is sad.

[1] That's why I don't believe in Steam Linux percentage, my friends have a lot of accounts on Windows, I bet that it can inflate the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I can't believe it......

How does a graphics driver get flagged as cheating? I might understand things like FreeCam or X-Ray but...
        Why couldn't it?
        From their point of view, it is important to know the game visuals isn't being tampered with as the game is being rendered. The graphics driver would be a prime suspect incase of wallhacks and the like.
        Then you need to inspect what the graphics driver is doing and look for signs that could indicate cheats in use, such as... parallel threads messing with the rendering pipeline. In this case, glthreads is being wrongfully flagged as a potential cheat, because it's doing things that looks like cheating from the POV of an anticheat algorithm.
        As for why we don't get any response from Valve? Most likely they don't have a good answer for this, since they can't tell the cheats apart from glthreads in this case. A public announcement of some kind, acknowledging they're aware of the issue but can't/won't do anything about it might not be a good move in that case.

Comment

this lowers the trust in linux gaming for switchers ...especially CS is running well on Linux and not much demanding on hw resources. Usally not comparable to a protonified triple AAA with glitches and maybe missing performance. well, sh*** happens.

Comment

Wait, it's 2021 and CS:GO is still using OpenGL not Vulkan?
            (DotA moved to Vulkan a while ago so I'm confused)

Comment

Originally posted by randomsalad View Post
              The graphics driver would be a prime suspect incase of wallhacks and the like.
              If you code the game properly it's impossible to wallhack. Sure you can make the textures transparent but it will show nothing because the server will plain not send what's on the other side of the wall to the clients.
              Current situation is the result of being cheap (because a proper made game will have higher load on the server).
              Yes it's impossible to prevent all cheating but wallhacking can be prevented. In the end you can code an AI that will be faster and better than what any human can achieve.

Wonder when they will understand that to prevent cheating you need not to trust the client and to not trust the client the client basicaly doesn't need to have access to anything that is not needed and can be used to cheat (in this case what's behind the walls is an information not needed to clients but usefull to cheat).

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                Wait, it's 2021 and CS:GO is still using OpenGL not Vulkan?
                (DotA moved to Vulkan a while ago so I'm confused)
                CS:GO is still using the old Source engine (heavily modified, but still). Dota 2 is running on Source 2. They probably don't want to invest too much into the old version of Source engine and considering the company hierarchy, devs probably don't really like working on it either.

Comment

Random guess, Valve knows how many threads they expect the game to use, this was based on older mesa versions. When the thread count doesn't match, this likely could be from cheats running their own thread, but since it's not fool proof, it just affects trust factor.

Comment

Originally posted by mackal View Post
                    Random guess, Valve knows how many threads they expect the game to use, this was based on older mesa versions. When the thread count doesn't match, this likely could be from cheats running their own thread, but since it's not fool proof, it just affects trust factor.
                    Seems plausible.

Unfortunately, without GL Threading I'm only getting 450FPS :-(
                    LITERALLY unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post

CS:GO is still using the old Source engine (heavily modified, but still). Dota 2 is running on Source 2. They probably don't want to invest too much into the old version of Source engine and considering the company hierarchy, devs probably don't really like working on it either.
                      Source uses ToGL to translate Dx9 to OGL, but with Portal 2, they managed to use DxVK, I think that's possible, but they don't want.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/0...another-update

Comment

Working...
                      X