Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VKD3D-Proton 2.3 Released With Early DXR Support, Performance Improvements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VKD3D-Proton 2.3 Released With Early DXR Support, Performance Improvements

    Phoronix: VKD3D-Proton 2.3 Released With Early DXR Support, Performance Improvements

    VKD3D-Proton 2.3 is now available as the latest release of this Steam Play (Proton) component for running Direct3D 12 games over Vulkan...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...D3D-Proton-2.3

  • #2
    Could somebody give Hitman 2 a try in Proton Experimental with Nvidia? I'm getting close to native D3D12 CPU performance with RADV, whereas AMDVLK is quite bad.

    Btw: The game runs really great now with the new vkd3d-proton version & RADV. High fps, zero stutter, no other issues so far. World of Warcraft runs similarly, I think it's now really justified to be optimistic about the future development.
    Last edited by aufkrawall; 22 April 2021, 03:44 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Is there a chance that wine and proton will merge one day again and the wine users will get the fixes and features that the proton developers implemented already?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bemerk View Post
        Is there a chance that wine and proton will merge one day again and the wine users will get the fixes and features that the proton developers implemented already?
        They're doing a pretty good job upstreaming their work.

        This is a blog post by one of the CodeWeavers devs. It's a little dated but it shows some stats.

        Comment


        • #5
          It seems that it's just done for wine not for vkd3d though.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bemerk View Post
            Is there a chance that wine and proton will merge one day again and the wine users will get the fixes and features that the proton developers implemented already?
            I dont think they will ever do a merge tho.
            All the various steam and game tweaks/hacks in proton will most likely never make it to wine if it is not because it is the "more correct function". I mean, they contribute a LOT of code back to wine, but wine is more about trying to implement functions the "correct way" rather than hacks to get things working. The stuff that gets upstreamed go from being "proton hacks" to being "good functions" i guess.

            Why would they merge? You can build wine-proton directly from git as a regular standalone wine version and use it as a replacement for winehq wine if you need patches from there in case you want to run a game/app without steam. TKG repo even has wine-staging w/proton patches aswell.

            Hans-Kristian contributes back to wine vkd3d aswell, but vkd3d-proton is a lot more game oriented (with its own hacks/tweaks) than the winehq version of vkd3d. So in a sense it is two entities contributing to between them, but i cannot see a time when they would merge tbh.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cybmax View Post
              Hans-Kristian contributes back to wine vkd3d aswell, but vkd3d-proton is a lot more game oriented (with its own hacks/tweaks) than the winehq version of vkd3d. So in a sense it is two entities contributing to between them, but i cannot see a time when they would merge tbh.
              It just feels weird if the proton vkd3d is further along and has implemented way more things than the wine base of it.
              It's like the wine users are missing out on a lot of things

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cybmax View Post

                I dont think they will ever do a merge tho.
                All the various steam and game tweaks/hacks in proton will most likely never make it to wine if it is not because it is the "more correct function". I mean, they contribute a LOT of code back to wine, but wine is more about trying to implement functions the "correct way" rather than hacks to get things working. The stuff that gets upstreamed go from being "proton hacks" to being "good functions" i guess.

                Why would they merge? You can build wine-proton directly from git as a regular standalone wine version and use it as a replacement for winehq wine if you need patches from there in case you want to run a game/app without steam. TKG repo even has wine-staging w/proton patches aswell.

                Hans-Kristian contributes back to wine vkd3d aswell, but vkd3d-proton is a lot more game oriented (with its own hacks/tweaks) than the winehq version of vkd3d. So in a sense it is two entities contributing to between them, but i cannot see a time when they would merge tbh.
                Nobody has contributed anything useful for DX12 to upstream vkd3d in over a year at this point, not sure where you're getting this from.

                > vkd3d-proton is a lot more game oriented (with its own hacks/tweaks)

                Not really. It can actually run d3d12 games/apps whereas upstream vkd3d can't run anything.
                There is rather, 1100+ commits to make things actually work.

                The only per-game hack in VKD3D-Proton is to add barriers in for F1 2020 and we have the same hack in DXVK because the game is simply just broken.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

                  Nobody has contributed anything useful for DX12 to upstream vkd3d in over a year at this point, not sure where you're getting this from.
                  Yeah, it is 11 months.. and whether it is useful or not, i cannot really say Time flies indeed. So i will change my statement to:
                  "It is almost a year since Hans-Kristian contributed to upstream vkd3d, and even then it is debatable if it was useful for DX12 ref f3bf1612c113614a2392718d35213e8284527c37"

                  Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post
                  Not really. It can actually run d3d12 games/apps whereas upstream vkd3d can't run anything.
                  There is rather, 1100+ commits to make things actually work.

                  The only per-game hack in VKD3D-Proton is to add barriers in for F1 2020 and we have the same hack in DXVK because the game is simply just broken.
                  I guess i would consider commits like https://github.com/HansKristian-Work...902c140ca4f563 a "tweak", and as you say - F1 2020 is a "hack".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bemerk View Post

                    It just feels weird if the proton vkd3d is further along and has implemented way more things than the wine base of it.
                    It's like the wine users are missing out on a lot of things
                    It is perfectly fine to use vkd3d-proton for regular wine, so i would not say they are "missing out" on anything. Lutris also installs vkd3d-proton if you need it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X