Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle For Wesnoth Gets New Campaign, Graphics

Phoronix: Battle For Wesnoth Gets New Campaign, Graphics

For those interested in turn-based strategy games, Battle For Wesnoth 1.6 is now available on Linux and other supported platforms. This major update to Battle For Wesnoth brings a new campaign (called The Legend of Wesmere), many multi-player improvements, improved game graphics, new terrain types, user-interface improvements, and an improved map editor. More information on this open-source turn-based strategy game update can be found at Wesnoth.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I, of course, would have preferred a .deb link next to the .exe and .dmg, and, in my cynical fashion, interpret the more obfuscated route to obtaining it to be either an expression of their wish for OS X to remain the face of unix on the desktop or their denial of the fact that Ubuntu simply is linux today.

All the linux users I meet at school, at church, wherever else I am, they don't use Fedora, they don't use SuSE, they don't use Mandriva, etc. They all use Ubuntu, except my friend Justin who is a Kubuntu user. Still, different DE, same OS. And from Google:

Should look like this:

==Download==
    Windows (msi) _x86_ _x86-64_
    Mac (pkg) _intel_ _PPC_
    *ubuntu (deb) _x86_ _x86-64_ _other_
    _Other systems_
    _Source code_

==Repositories==
    _apt_
    _fink_
    YaST and Yum repos awaiting sponsor

Though really, if they wanted to throw rpm there too, can't say I'd mind that much-- just as long as they don't use its existence as an excuse to hide the .deb away somewhere.
    Last edited by ethana2; 22 March 2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Why should we hide anything? And for Linux there is the source download (even listed first!), this leaves you without any problems with your package manager.

Beside this: you can get the debs via debian, they are already included in debian experimental for some days. Our Debian packager also currently tries to still have it slip into 9.04, not sure if it will work out though...

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
        Why should we hide anything? And for Linux there is the source download (even listed first!), this leaves you without any problems with your package manager.

Beside this: you can get the debs via debian, they are already included in debian experimental for some days. Our Debian packager also currently tries to still have it slip into 9.04, not sure if it will work out though...
        Compiling code is a sin. Aside from wasting energy, wasting time, and the fact that it NEVER works (different reason each time), I refuse to install from source just because it doesn't make proper use of my package manager, which happens to be the third best thing about my OS in the first place, the single greatest factor in my ditching Windows, and the main reason I prefer it over Mac OS 10.

I hope this does get into 9.04. Truth be told, if I ever do really start playing it, I'm probably just going to use whatever version is given me by Apps > Add, so, whatever they can do there is good.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
          Compiling code is a sin. Aside from wasting energy, wasting time, and the fact that it NEVER works (different reason each
          Developers write Wesnoth without compiling , because they are unable to compile it.
          time), I refuse to install from source just because it doesn't make proper use of my package manager, which happens to be the third best thing about my OS in the first place, the single greatest factor in my ditching Windows, and the main reason I prefer it over Mac OS 10.

I hope this does get into 9.04. Truth be told, if I ever do really start playing it, I'm probably just going to use whatever version is given me by Apps > Add, so, whatever they can do there is good.

Comment

Killing people is a sin too, but the actions select few who have chosen to serve their countries in roles that mandate it on the front lines, many do not object to.

That is the role of the Free Software developer.

Actually to qualify things well, since I did mention church, know that I'm generalizing quite a bit. I mean it's a shame. A dirty, dirty shame. Not always the same as sin, but always unfortunate, especially when it's not necessary. With me and my sheltered, safe life, I have the privilege of abhorring end user code compilation to the degree many unfortunate people view the taking of life they must see all around them. I've chosen a few causes to stand up for and this one may not be the most significant, or the most noble, but it's the one I'm most equipped to fight for-- that of Freedom in Software.
            Last edited by ethana2; 22 March 2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I, of course, would have preferred a .deb link next to the .exe and .dmg, and, in my cynical fashion, interpret the more obfuscated route to obtaining it to be either an expression of their wish for OS X to remain the face of unix on the desktop or their denial of the fact that Ubuntu simply is linux today.
              No one in the Linux community will ever accept that Linux, for desktop users, means = Ubuntu.

There are a lot of reasons why this won't ever happen. Some reasons can be justified, others can't.

At least for me, until they ignore this Windows will always be easier to use. And even if I don't have problems compiling this sofware, I simply won't do it. I'de rather go out and pay 30$ for a commercial game that works out of the box.

Comment

Ubuntu packages:
                https://launchpad.net/~stikonas/+archive/ppa

Comment

I refuse to install from source just because it doesn't make proper use of my package manager.
                  Which incidentally is why most projects distribute code in source form. Which .deb platform should they target? Which .rpm platform should they target? The best people to compile code for your system are yourself, and your distribution maintainers. As they don't suffer from a "hide the source" requirement, it is easier to distribute source code.

There are places withing the FS tree where a package manager is not supposed to touch, specifically so that you can install stuff outside it's control safely. /usr/local/ springs to mind...

Comment

"Which .deb platform should they target?"
                    Ubuntu.
                    "Which .rpm platform should they target?"
                    $ alien. (I kid, but worry about that later.)

"Ubuntu packages:
                    https://launchpad.net/~stikonas/+archive/ppa"

I know I can get them if I look, and that's not a problem for me, what I take issue with most is them giving OS X more preferred treatment than Ubuntu.

Heck, I'd be probably be almost fine with something like this:

==Downloads==
                    _Windows_
                    _Decent Operating Systems_
                    _Source Code_

Comment

Working...
                    X