Metro Exodus Launches For Linux But Off To Bumpy Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Anyway we can implement Ray-Tracing into AMDGPU Mesa drivers for those that aren't using RDNA2? WINK WINK
    If you wanted your games to run at like 5 FPS. Truth is even current gen GPUs aren't really fast enough for Real Time Raytracing the way gamers want it just yet. They manage to make it real time but their performance is total garbage compared to what we're used to.

Comment

Originally posted by DerCaveman View Post

Just to be sure- you tried "SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11"?
      Yes, SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11 and trying different sdl locations LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libSDL2.so, as well as no LD_PRELOAD and just using their libSDL file.. it just doesn't launch on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

If you wanted your games to run at like 5 FPS. Truth is even current gen GPUs aren't really fast enough for Real Time Raytracing the way gamers want it just yet. They manage to make it real time but their performance is total garbage compared to what we're used to.
        True, I personally believe that ray/path tracing is not the future of gaming, and there are multiple reasons for that. The main reason is that it will always be (computationally) expensive, so no matter what you do and how powerful hardware is, you will be able to get similar effects at the fraction of the compute power required by R/P tracing. From everything I saw, ray/path tracing is a terrible way of mimicing lighting/anything, it might be useful for simulations on the other hand (outside of gaming), I kinda doubt it, but what do I know.., but for gaming, it's a failure.
        Take a looka t any RT game and you will basically hardly notice any change of image/graphic quality, but you will notice performance hit, it basically serves no purpose for gaming IMO.

Comment

Ray Tracing for this game only really works at acceptable framerates with DLSS enabled. Wish I had a 3080 for testing but I went with a 6800xt and well AMD has yet to really reveal its RT and DLSS like features yet beyond the usual stuff. Best we've seen is CAS stuff on CP2077.

Comment

Someone at the Steam discussion found out that it only crashes in Wayland if vsync is turned :

Okay, to get it to work on wayland : start the game once on X11.

Find the user.cfg file .local/share/Steam/userdata/<our steam id number>/412020/remote

Set

r_vsync to 1
            This worked for me.

Also worth mentioning from the discussion there: there is in fact a memory leak happening if you use the RADV driver, after 15-30min you will crash from memory usage. People reported that it does not happen with AMDVLK but for me it crashes when the game start if I switch to it.

Comment

Which vulkan extensions it is using for raytracing. The "Nvidia RTX" in settings doesn't give me good vibes or confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

I mean Crysis Remastered did it?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Military Shooter 2021 Settings:
                  • LG Xtreme HDR -- On
                  • NVIDIA RTX -- Medium
                  • Intel oneGAME AA -- 2x
                  • AMD CAS -- 50%
                  • NVIDIA DLSS -- Medium
                  • Resolution by Windex -- 3840x2160
                  • AMD AutoScale -- Medium
                  • Google UHD Antroscopic Filtering -- 32x
                  • Tesla Tessellation -- AMD Optimized
                  • Brawndo Particle FX -- High
                  • SnoopSmoke FX -- Dogg
                  • Fabric Textures from Martha Stewart -- High
                  • ACLU Skin Foundation Characters -- High

Military Shooter 2021 -- It's Got Electrolytes
                  Brought to you by Mtn Dew, Cheetos, Brawndo, and the American Diabetes Association
                  American Diabetes Association is the one that got me laughing.

Comment

I can't find any follow up on this article. Is my google-fu just bad or are things still not sorted out for Metro Exodus?

Comment

Originally posted by RBilettess View Post
                      I can't find any follow up on this article. Is my google-fu just bad or are things still not sorted out for Metro Exodus?
                      I was wondering the same.. Michael , has the benchmarking been sorted out?

Comment

Working...
                      X