No announcement yet.

Metro Exodus Launches For Linux But Off To Bumpy Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it Vulkan or OpenGL for Linux? I think the first for Linux (and I assume Metal for macOS), but I just can find the D3D apis info for Windows.

Comment

is it a Nvidia or AMD "sponsored" title? ...I mean this assisted development with tide bonds to a certain vendor?

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
        Did you try Sway or KDE with Wayland?
        no as i don't like either of those but i'm not the only one. on the steam forums for metro exodus other people on wayland have been saying the same thing. game crashes on launch on wayland, only works in xorg session.
        Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        is it a Nvidia or AMD "sponsored" title? ...I mean this assisted development with tide bonds to a certain vendor?
        nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by Faalagorn View Post
          is it Vulkan or OpenGL for Linux? I think the first for Linux (and I assume Metal for macOS), but I just can find the D3D apis info for Windows.
          https://youtu.be/Ei1KVOusql8 in this video on linux the MangoHud overlay is showing Vulkan.
          The video by GamingOnLinux shows the same https://youtu.be/-1Rvn6sI_4s
          Last edited by Toggleton; 15 April 2021, 04:33 AM. Reason: Second Link

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
            nvidia
            well that explains why it works flawless on nvidia with RTX but with hickups on AMD. I dont think that RADV is that buggy. Since it works quite well with a lot of even newer games "native" or dxvk/vkd3d mapped.

My guess: they have asked nvida folks for the port assistance - they did more or less everything on Nvidia GPU powered machines. And just a little on AMD maybe with radeon pro drivers. Dispite the fact that the majority of AMD Linux Gamers use in fact mesa.

That is the reason why I hate this affiliated GPU Vendor Development. No matter if AMD or Nvidia.

Of course I don't have facts to proof it but this is my gut feelings.

Michael have you tried AMD official drivers? pro or nonpro?

edit.: dispite of the classic nvidia vs amd struggles ...it is nice to see a AAA linux native title
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 15 April 2021, 04:51 AM.

Comment

A real shame that games are still only tested for hardware that gives a f for standards :/
              But good to see anyway that they really released it for linux eventually ^^

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
                it doesn't work in wayland session. only works in xorg. that's why it "crashes" on amd cards because most amd cards in gnome session defaults to wayland because gnome defaults to wayland.

i had the same issue and was pulling out my hair because it works just fine in proton on wayland. after looking at its files i noticed it uses sdl2 and sdl2 supports wayland. so i figured maybe its a wayland issue. switching to gnome on xorg, it fires up just fine. the developers must have never tested in wayland with amd cards...

nvidia "works" because nvidia is xorg only.
                So setting the SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable should work?
                Originally posted by https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wayland#SDL2
                To run a SDL2 application on Wayland, set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland.

Note: Many proprietary games come bundled with old versions of SDL, which do not support Wayland and might break entirely if you set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland. To force the application to run with XWayland, set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                  All Metro games are nvidia games. That is why their performance is bad in general, except when using Nvidia optimized drivers on recent nvidia gpus. This has always been the case with nvidia sponsored games. Nvidia is a cancer. There is nothing wrong with vendor exclusive games, consoles exist, but on PC game developers should have the decency to notify potential buyers that their games are mainly intended to be used by a certain brand of gpu owners and other brands are "use at your own risk, delivered as is". What Nvidia does is the same like 3dfx used to do, only they do not use their own api. They should.

Comment

For NVidia drivers make sure you have installed libnvidia-rtcore (if so you should find file /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnvidia-rtcore.so[your_driver_version). Otherwise the game will crash on startup.

The package name depends on your distro, for Debian it is libnvidia-rtcore, for Ubuntu it is libnvidia-gl-[version], ...

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                      Getting out of the city hasn't been this hard since Escape from New York.
                      You have to wear a eye patch, makes the game easier.

And a mullet, but I hear that is not for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X