Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Ends Q1'2021 Still Below 1% Marketshare

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Ends Q1'2021 Still Below 1% Marketshare

With the start of the new month comes updated Steam Survey figures for the month prior...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eh, market share is just a number. As long as games continue to work and get ported to Linux and Valve keeps investing in the platform via proton and other means I'm happy and I'll keep buying games on Steam

Comment

what are the chances of this being a April fools Joke

Comment

Last edited by Hash; 02 April 2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I don't mean to discount people overseas in Asia, but one thing to note is Steam's hardware results also include Asia. Linux isn't really "big" in Asia. If Steam was able to filter results by region, I'm pretty sure Linux, and even Mac, would be much higher in Europe and North America. Along with some more interesting results. Like higher-end hardware being at a higher usage.

If people are curious about what hardware Linux gamers run, and distros used is to take a look at gamingonlinux's statics: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/users/statistics
          Last edited by fafreeman; 01 April 2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
            If Steam was able to filter results by region, I'm pretty sure Linux, and even Mac, would be much higher in Europe and North America.
            Much higher? So you think the Linux share would actually crack 1% in North America?

Comment

Still no surprise sadly. most multiplayer games still wont play nice, and as such most people wont bother switching

Comment

It's time to accept that we _are_ the 1% and that _is_ a good thing.

The richest 1% don't wish they were part of the 99%. Embrace it, we are the elite in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  It's time to accept that we _are_ the 1% and that _is_ a good thing.

The richest 1% don't wish they were part of the 99%. Embrace it, we are the elite in this context.
                  ah yes being unable to do what the 99% can do makes you elite, I can't believe I didn't know before now.

Comment

Just a FYI, i have never, ever, gotten a Steam survey on Linux, since the native port launched.

Comment

Working...
                    X