No announcement yet.

Proton 6.3-1 Released With More Windows Games Now Running On Linux / Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most games I try to get on GOG. If it has a Linux version, or is a rather old Windows only game then I get it on GOG. Steam if it's something that has a ridiculous low sale price, Windows only with known issues in WINE, or just not available in GOG. I make a habit of downloading all the installers from my GOG library and keeping them in a backup drive.

Comment

XCOM Chimera Squad still only works with proton 5.10
      But it works perfectly with that version.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        They very much do have a right and I don't know where you're getting the idea that there's some forced 3rd party contract. There is a license agreement that both the publisher/developer and the customer must abide by. Many publishers/devs deliberately seek 3rd party DRMs specifically because they don't want their own "in-house" anti-piracy tool. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean they don't have a right to do things the way they have been.
        I mean "moral right". For example, twitter has every legal right to ban users who dare to criticize twitter's policy, but this would be hardly right thing from moral perspective. When a shop tries to make world better by forcing some policy this is not good mean, even for a greater good. Fortunately GOG is not a monopoly and you may ignore it with all their efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
          I mean "moral right". For example, twitter has every legal right to ban users who dare to criticize twitter's policy, but this would be hardly right thing from moral perspective. When a shop tries to make world better by forcing some policy this is not good mean, even for a greater good. Fortunately GOG is not a monopoly and you may ignore it with all their efforts.
          I don't agree with that either. Morality is relative, and that means it's a matter of perspective. Going to a 3rd party DRM means the publisher/developer is seeking a solution where they want to stop their content from being stolen, because in their eyes, stealing is immoral. Honest people unfortunately have to deal with it, but that's the price we all have to pay because some people are assholes and ruin it for everyone.
          Same goes for Twitter - ostensibly, their censorship is to prevent hatred from spreading, or acted upon. Whether or not they're doing a good/fair job of that is a different story, but their motive is meant to prevent something that is morally bad.
          One thing that many people forget is total freedom permits anarchy and chaos. You just simply can't have faith that everyone will do the right thing, because that flat-out isn't possible. One of the reasons GOG isn't huge is because it's too loose with regulation. It's no coincidence that hate groups, political extremist groups, and riots/uprisings happen because of platforms that let people express their nonsense BS in an echochamber of FUD. I don't care whose side they lean on, such people are all the scum of society. Ironically, they think they have the moral high ground, and that's how this is all neatly wrapped up:
          Even when people incite violence, they will still find a way to suggest they're holier-than-thou. I am technically wrong to say that those people are scum, because someone will come to their defense.

Where you do have a valid point is whether or not it's the greater good. For me personally, morality is whether your actions have a net positive effect, whether that be the happiness/well-being of others, or for the health of the planet as a whole. Sorry but, putting up with a DRM is not a net loss. It's annoying, and that's the extent of it.

Comment

Working...
          X