Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Adds Support For The Single-File Mesa Shader Cache

Phoronix: Steam Adds Support For The Single-File Mesa Shader Cache

It was less than one month ago that Valve developers added a new "single file" cache option for Mesa as an alternative to its existing multi-file cache. Valve now with their latest Steam for Linux beta is supporting this new single-file cache for faster performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Both Windows and Linux cannot handle shader cache - applications/drivers/Mesa create cache files to never delete them.

In Linux I've just disabled the cache altogether:

Code:
    rm -rf ~/.cache/mesa_shader_cache && touch ~/.cache/mesa_shader_cache
    Under Windows I've moved it to a RAM disk.

Comment

I understand this way both LLVM and ACO will benefit from faster compile time performance?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        I understand this way both LLVM and ACO will benefit from faster compile time performance?
        The shader cache is to bypass recompiling the shaders.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Both Windows and Linux cannot handle shader cache - applications/drivers/Mesa create cache files to never delete them.

In Linux I've just disabled the cache altogether:

Code:
          rm -rf ~/.cache/mesa_shader_cache && touch ~/.cache/mesa_shader_cache
          Under Windows I've moved it to a RAM disk.
          In Windows there is a utility to free up disk space which clears out the shader cache, but it has to be run manually from time to time. Pretty stupid way to handle things if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The shader cache is to bypass recompiling the shaders.
            Yeah I know, I just thought smaller cache size will result in slightly better compile time performance

Comment

A bit of pragmatism...

Is there a specific launch option to add to the game in order to make use of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                A bit of pragmatism...

Is there a specific launch option to add to the game in order to make use of this?
                According to them, just a Mesa build from at least this commit.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

According to them, just a Mesa build from at least this commit.
                  Thanks. I thought I remembered adding a launch option for the multi-file one.
                  But actually it was a box to tick (might be by default since then) in Steam settings, called Shader pre-caching.

And if you haven't upgraded to Mesa 21.1 yet, there's always the environment variable solution:
                  https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...gle-File-Cache

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Thanks. I thought I remembered adding a launch option for the multi-file one.
                    But actually it was a box to tick (might be by default since then) in Steam settings, called Shader pre-caching.

And if you haven't upgraded to Mesa 21.1 yet, there's always the environment variable solution:
                    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...gle-File-Cache
                    Yeah....the ole bandwidth button

Comment

Working...
                    X