SDL2 Lands Native PipeWire Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
    What exactly is the purpose of pipewire? What precisely can it do for me? What does it offer that current methods cannot?
    It wreaks of NIH'ism :\
    Even though those look like rhetorical questions: Pipewire solves a lot of issues.
    It was originally meant as a video-counterpart to Pulseaudio, even being named "PulseVideo".
    Something that handles video routing is needed to implement screensharing & such in Wayland & applications running in containers (like Flatpak).

It worked so good for video, the authors thought it might work well for audio too. And it does.
    It can even do it using less CPU resources than Pulseaudio while also delivering very low latency.

I've also read some claims that handling the audio & video in the same system makes syncing audio & video easier. Makes sense.

There are also some other features like how it can replace JACK, has a better security model, has configurable management logic for other use cases than a desktop (which was hardcoded in Pulseaudio)

Comment

does pipewire works without faking pulse/jack?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Pipewire is a Redhat/GNOME thing. Pipewire is about to reach critical mass and become a requirement for the entire platform.

Are you on the moral high grounds who opposes meritocratic endeavors like this? This is your last chance to come up with alternatives. All you need to do is stop talking and start coding. Good Luck!
        Well I mean we already have VNC, X11/ssh, RDP and countless others. We don't need to talk *or* code. It is already done

As for bandwidth, Pipewire achieves similar to VNC (similar technology actually). Which, in terms of performance is... basic.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          does pipewire works without faking pulse/jack?
          Check your packages - it may already be installed on you machine And yes, it does that by default. But you can force switch to pipewire fully - for example on Manjaro I can install manjaro-pipewire package, which will even uninstall pshhaudio as not required.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            caligula [email protected]? Heresy! Give me MIDI or give me Death.
            You want to see it coming or it must be by surprise?

/sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
              What exactly is the purpose of pipewire? What precisely can it do for me? What does it offer that current methods cannot?
              It wreaks of NIH'ism :\
              you mindlessly hate everything because you are banned on wikipedia?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Well I mean we already have VNC, X11/ssh, RDP and countless others. We don't need to talk *or* code. It is already done
                if you are listing unrelated things, this list is endless

Comment

Removed PulseAudio and configured my Debian unstable to use pipewire-pulse a few days ago. For early testing it's been fairly painless. I've seen some minor issues now and then so obviously not ready for a wide release, but I don't think it will take long until it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
                    It would be great if they could also merge the patch to have their own client-side-decorations for Wayland. Right now if your running Gnome and you force Wayland on a windowed SDL2 app, you loose the window decorations (title bar, etc).
                    It should happen in near future. One of libdecoration developers proposed patches for SDL2 to implement support for CSD using libdecoration. Looks like SDL2 developers are willing to accept them when this library will provide stable API. Libdecoration also got some work recently so hopefully in near future SDL2 will accept it. After that there are chances that it will land in Fedora 35.

Probably after that SDL2 will also stop forcing Xwayland on Wayland session. Lack of CSD support is main blocker against favoring Wayland over X11 on Wayland session.

Comment

V1tol the fact that it removes pulseaudio it doesn't mean that pipewire is not faking pulseaudio.

Comment

Working...
                      X