No announcement yet.

SDL2 Lands Native PipeWire Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be great if they could also merge the patch to have their own client-side-decorations for Wayland. Right now if your running Gnome and you force Wayland on a windowed SDL2 app, you loose the window decorations (title bar, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Pipewire is a Redhat/GNOME thing. Pipewire is about to reach critical mass and become a requirement for the entire platform.
      GNOME is already a requirement for Linux. How can you run Linux without GNOME?

Comment

jacob Ubuntu got pipewire 0.3.22 packaged and ready for Ubuntu 21.04.
        Packaged is one thing, but it's not currently in use in Ubuntu.

Comment

Oh, and dear forum gods, can I have my name changed to GNOME_Shill_40? I don't want to be 37 versions behind the times.

Comment

I've been watching Pipewire on Ubuntu 20.10 for the last month along with pipewire-pulse and it's been pretty seemless. I've only found one big issue and that's that VLC plays static. I've been looking at the pull requests for Pipewire and I saw this problem mentioned. It seems it has to do with VLC handing the audio server encoded audio while Pipewire just accepts PCM at the moment.

jacob Ubuntu got pipewire 0.3.22 packaged and ready for Ubuntu 21.04.
            My understanding is that it's only going to be used for Wayland and won't be used for audio. There was some podcast that interviewed somebody from Canonical that said that. Wish I could remember the podcasts name. Maybe they had a change of heart in the past few weeks though.

Comment

Originally posted by GNOME_Shill_3.x View Post

GNOME is already a requirement for Linux. How can you run Linux without GNOME?
              For screencast/share and things like that. KDEs KWin also requires it for that.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
                What exactly is the purpose of pipewire? What precisely can it do for me? What does it offer that current methods cannot?
                It wreaks of NIH'ism :\
                Even though those look like rhetorical questions: Pipewire solves a lot of issues.
                It was originally meant as a video-counterpart to Pulseaudio, even being named "PulseVideo".
                Something that handles video routing is needed to implement screensharing & such in Wayland & applications running in containers (like Flatpak).

It worked so good for video, the authors thought it might work well for audio too. And it does.
                It can even do it using less CPU resources than Pulseaudio while also delivering very low latency.

I've also read some claims that handling the audio & video in the same system makes syncing audio & video easier. Makes sense.

There are also some other features like how it can replace JACK, has a better security model, has configurable management logic for other use cases than a desktop (which was hardcoded in Pulseaudio)

Comment

does pipewire works without faking pulse/jack?

Comment

Pipewire is a Redhat/GNOME thing. Pipewire is about to reach critical mass and become a requirement for the entire platform.

Are you on the moral high grounds who opposes meritocratic endeavors like this? This is your last chance to come up with alternatives. All you need to do is stop talking and start coding. Good Luck!
                    Well I mean we already have VNC, X11/ssh, RDP and countless others. We don't need to talk *or* code. It is already done

As for bandwidth, Pipewire achieves similar to VNC (similar technology actually). Which, in terms of performance is... basic.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                      does pipewire works without faking pulse/jack?
                      Check your packages - it may already be installed on you machine And yes, it does that by default. But you can force switch to pipewire fully - for example on Manjaro I can install manjaro-pipewire package, which will even uninstall pshhaudio as not required.

Comment

Working...
                      X