Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDL2 Lands Native PipeWire Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SDL2 Lands Native PipeWire Support

    Phoronix: SDL2 Lands Native PipeWire Support

    While SDL2-enabled games/applications can already work on PipeWire-based systems like the forthcoming Fedora Workstation 34 thanks to the PulseAudio compatibility layer, the SDL2 library has merged initial support for interfacing with PipeWire...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...PipeWire-Audio

  • #2
    Pipewire is a Redhat/GNOME thing. Pipewire is about to reach critical mass and become a requirement for the entire platform.

    Are you on the moral high grounds who opposes meritocratic endeavors like this? This is your last chance to come up with alternatives. All you need to do is stop talking and start coding. Good Luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Pipewire is a Redhat/GNOME thing. Pipewire is about to reach critical mass and become a requirement for the entire platform.

      Are you on the moral high grounds who opposes meritocratic endeavors like this? This is your last chance to come up with alternatives. All you need to do is stop talking and start coding. Good Luck!
      You appear to be arguing with yourself. Did you forget to take your meds this morning?

      Comment


      • #4
        What exactly is the purpose of pipewire? What precisely can it do for me? What does it offer that current methods cannot?
        It wreaks of NIH'ism :\

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
          What exactly is the purpose of pipewire? What precisely can it do for me? What does it offer that current methods cannot?
          It wreaks of NIH'ism :\
          It aims to fix all the problems and shortcomings of PulseAudio, plus handle screen sharing and cameras.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

            It aims to fix all the problems and shortcomings of PulseAudio,
            some of which involve things like JACK audio server, so it replaces that too. it's probably a very good idea. idk if there are any naysayers, but i'll throw a match out there and say at least it's not being added to systemd :3

            ..yet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Pipewire is a Redhat/GNOME thing. Pipewire is about to reach critical mass and become a requirement for the entire platform.

              Are you on the moral high grounds who opposes meritocratic endeavors like this? This is your last chance to come up with alternatives. All you need to do is stop talking and start coding. Good Luck!
              I heard Devuan is reviving the kernel 2.4 OSS API and PC Speaker support as the primary sound processing platforms. Purely mono 22khz though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by caligula View Post

                I heard Devuan is reviving the kernel 2.4 OSS API and PC Speaker support as the primary sound processing platforms. Purely mono 22khz though.
                Well, I mean 16k should be enough for anyone, right?

                I'm really happy that pipewire is finally solving the lack of a multimedia server to deal with passing video streams, should make a bunch of things possible. Though I fear that some dist will be far too eager to abandon pulseaudio due to its bad press, and instead move fully to pipewire before it's fully ready for use - making history repeat itself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ananace View Post
                  ...too eager to abandon pulseaudio due to its bad press, and instead move fully to pipewire before it's fully ready for use - making history repeat itself.
                  That was 100% due to Ubuntu's trademark incompetence last time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    caligula [email protected]? Heresy! Give me MIDI or give me Death.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X