0 A.D. Real -Time Strategy Game Sees First Release In Nearly Three Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 A.D. Real -Time Strategy Game Sees First Release In Nearly Three Years

Phoronix: 0 A.D. Real -Time Strategy Game Sees First Release In Nearly Three Years

When it comes to original, open-source computer games the 0 A.D. real-time strategy game is among the best. The game has been developed as open-source for more than a decade for this ancient warfare themed game. The prior 0 A.D. Alpha 23 release happened back in May 2018 while now it's finally been succeded by 0 A.D. Alpha 24...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Never work for free.

Comment

phoronix you missed the WAYLAND support haha

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
        Never work for free.
        Unless you actually want to (I mean hobby project and such, not for a job or such).

Comment

Typo: succeded

Comment

When I saw the title of the article, I read ninety three years, hahahah. First glance perceptions, hahahah.

Fired it up to give it a quick look. Going to have to dedicate some time to this one. Looks nice.
            Last edited by creative; 20 February 2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

They should release it on steam and charge a couple of bucks (while keeping the free download on their site). It can stay open source but the integration of something like Steam would make it much more popular for playing games with friends.

Comment

lyamc

I agree, they should.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                  They should release it on steam and charge a couple of bucks (while keeping the free download on their site). It can stay open source but the integration of something like Steam would make it much more popular for playing games with friends.
                  Charge $5 or $10 and go the Ardour route where they're like "you can build it from source if you know how to, otherwise it's a convenience fee of auto-updating and integrating into your gaming library.

It was actually a pretty good game but had some mechanical issues it needed worked out, otherwise they are on the right path. Can't wait to try. I hope it doesn't throttle my poor VEGA 64 to crazy temps like it used too -- it didn't work from the Arch Repos before so I had to use Flatpak hopefully that is fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Charge $5 or $10 and go the Ardour route
                    Exactly. And this way they can get some funding to actually invest more time into the game, maybe even hire a full-time dev

Comment

Working...
                    X