Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VKD3D-Proton 2.2 Released With Tier 1 Variable Rate Shading, Preps For DXR Ray-Tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    But yes, I also would find it convenient if Steam (and also other launchers, Mr. Sweeney...) was more Wine friendly, as Proton can be annoying.
    For Epic Games Store, look into using Legendary: https://github.com/derrod/legendary

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      Do you know what causes it, and if the Wine developers are working on a fix for the various problems?
      I'd suspect that, similar to Steam, integration of the browser engine (which is always Chromium/Blink?) is troublesome, especially due to their sandboxing. I also wouldn't be surprised if coding quality of e.g. Origin is very poor in general, as they often aren't exactly bug-free on Windows as well.

Comment

If any Gentoo folk need this, there's a 9999 version in the FireBurn overlay - I'm working on a non-live one

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

For Epic Games Store, look into using Legendary: https://github.com/derrod/legendary
          In addition to Legendary, Heroic Launcher is a GUI that utilizes the Legendary CLI (bundled with the app): https://github.com/flavioislima/HeroicGamesLauncher

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            Will this ever find its way into wine, or do we need to deal with proton, wine, wine + dxvk, wine + vkd3d-proton. Whereas the latter is cumbersome to install if supported by the distribution in the first place, or does break with certain combinations of vkd3d and wine(staging), and one must decide between dxvk and vkd3d since both can't be in the same wine prefix ...
            Well, to put this easy, it is now 2 different "projects". Although borrowing from eachother ref. to various ideas i am sure, it is 2 different projects.
            Wine (by WineHQ) has their d3d12 (vkd3d) version, and their own d3dx->11 (wined3d) version. d3d11 also some support towards vulkan. (I have not tested it much, but was mostly crash & burn when i did).

So the facts are that if you want "bleeding edge gaming" (and not some old 1983 version of tic-tac-toe), you will need to use either DXVK (for D3D11), or vkd3d-proton (for D3D12).

"That is just dumb" some say, but well.. The WineHQ team is kinda "all about stability" on the "wine project", so things move in a much slower pace there when it comes to implement new stuff. (That is why we have -staging to begin with). The DXVK and vkd3d-proton projects is all about "supporting the newest stuff", and thus moves in a MUCH faster pace than regular wine does. No point in supporting Cyberpunk2077 when we actually get to 2077

Comment

muncrief
              aufkrawall

If I understand correctly, you're facing issues trying to run Steam itself through Wine? But why would you do that when there is a native client available? That makes no sense. If you want to avoid Proton and use your own Wine build, all you have to do is place a tarball of it in $your_steam_dir/compatibilitytools.d, along with some needed extra configuration files, and Steam will pick it up and allow you to use it, same as with other such tools (including Proton itself). There is absolutely no reason nowadays that I can think of that one should be trying to run Steam via Wine instead of natively.

As for Proton polluting your application menu, there are multiple ways to alleviate that; the simplest one would be to make your .local/share/applications/wine/Programs folder read-only, so no new launchers may be added in there without you explicitly allowing so.

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Will this ever find its way into wine, or do we need to deal with proton, wine, wine + dxvk, wine + vkd3d-proton. Whereas the latter is cumbersome to install if supported by the distribution in the first place, or does break with certain combinations of vkd3d and wine(staging), and one must decide between dxvk and vkd3d since both can't be in the same wine prefix ...
              There is a way to have both DXVK and VKD3D in the same prefix, but you have to compile both DXVK and Wine yourself in order to enable a couple of configuration options. The most relatively easy and fool-proof way to do this IMHO would be to use the build scripts created by Tk-Glitch.
              Last edited by Nocifer; 20 February 2021, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
                muncrief
                aufkrawall

If I understand correctly, you're facing issues trying to run Steam itself through Wine? But why would you do that when there is a native client available? That makes no sense. ...
                Well, various individuals have differing reasons Nocifer , but for me it's because I want to control my menus. I like clean and organized menus, and that's one of the few things that Linux makes very difficult. Proton pollutes the Linux game menu with Windows games, and I don't like that. In fact I want all Windows programs in separate menus. So over the years I've developed my own software called Wine Manager that creates menus any way a user wishes. For example I can have a general menu titled "Games", with submenus titled "RPG", "Simulation", "RTS", etc. Similarly I can have another general menu titled "Office" with submenus titled "Editors", "Communication", "Administration", etc. In addition to that various bottles can be enabled and disabled so that their menus do or don't appear, and even set so that programs only appear in the main menu, or both the main menu and desktop.

In any case, one of the primary goals of Linux is to allow users to setup their systems the way they want, and not be forced into someone else's vision of the way things "should be." In addition to that if Steam doesn't work under Wine then there's a deficiency or bug somewhere that should be addressed and remedied.

Comment

Well, various individuals have differing reasons Nocifer , but for me it's because I want to control my menus. I like clean and organized menus, and that's one of the few things that Linux makes very difficult. Proton pollutes the Linux game menu with Windows games, and I don't like that. In fact I want all Windows programs in separate menus. So over the years I've developed my own software called Wine Manager that creates menus any way a user wishes. For example I can have a general menu titled "Games", with submenus titled "RPG", "Simulation", "RTS", etc. Similarly I can have another general menu titled "Office" with submenus titled "Editors", "Communication", "Administration", etc. In addition to that various bottles can be enabled and disabled so that their menus do or don't appear, and even set so that programs only appear in the main menu, or both the main menu and desktop.

In any case, one of the primary goals of Linux is to allow users to setup their systems the way they want, and not be forced into someone else's vision of the way things "should be." In addition to that if Steam doesn't work under Wine then there's a deficiency or bug somewhere that should be addressed and remedied.
                  That's a very nice setup you got there, but I still don't understand your issue with native Steam. As I said you can stop Proton from polluting your menus in a variety of ways, one of which I already mentioned, while another would be to toggle some flag in the Wine registry AFAIR to completely disable shortcut creation. By doing that there should be no menu pollution, so problem solved.

Further, with Wine clearly being a stopgap solution for cases where a native solution does not exist, Valve having an official native Linux client that offers more than equal functionality to the non-native one (it can run Linux games in addition to the Windows ones) means that no, they don't really have the need (or the obligation) to ensure their non-native client runs well on Wine, and us users shouldn't expect them to do so. So if you can make it work, then kudos to you; but if you can't, and you're already willing to hack your way towards achieving your perfect setup, you really should look at hacking at the native client + Proton rather than the "deprecated" (on Linux via Wine) Windows client, it'll save you many headaches in the long run.

Comment

In any case, one of the primary goals of Linux is to allow users to setup their systems the way they want, and not be forced into someone else's vision of the way things "should be."
                    I hate to say it, but that's just an opinion – Linux was never explicitly designed to be about choice

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

That's a very nice setup you got there, but I still don't understand your issue with native Steam. As I said you can stop Proton from polluting your menus in a variety of ways, one of which I already mentioned, while another would be to toggle some flag in the Wine registry AFAIR to completely disable shortcut creation. By doing that there should be no menu pollution, so problem solved.

Further, with Wine clearly being a stopgap solution for cases where a native solution does not exist, Valve having an official native Linux client that offers more than equal functionality to the non-native one (it can run Linux games in addition to the Windows ones) means that no, they don't really have the need (or the obligation) to ensure their non-native client runs well on Wine, and us users shouldn't expect them to do so. So if you can make it work, then kudos to you; but if you can't, and you're already willing to hack your way towards achieving your perfect setup, you really should look at hacking at the native client + Proton rather than the "deprecated" (on Linux via Wine) Windows client, it'll save you many headaches in the long run.
                      There are indeed many manual interventions one could use to alter menus Nocifer, but the XDG menu system is quite complex, and manually altering the hierarchy is fraught with danger. In fact unless you're experienced with XDG the most likely result of manually altering the hierarchy is partial or complete loss of your menu. And if you simply disable menu creation you're making your task even more difficult as everything would have to be created manually.

Further, Wine Manager was not created just for Steam, it was created for all Wine programs. However I could indeed create some special code to deal with Proton Wine bottles, but right now it's dependent upon a Wine Manager root occupied by conventional Wine roots.

In any case I did a major rewrite of the code last year and still have a few minor problems to fix, and don't even have the energy for that, so for now incorporating another feature isn't on my to-do list. By the way it's written completely in Bash so I don't have to constantly rewrite it every time Python or Rust or whatever language breaks backwards compatibility.

But still, it's quite complex, and consists of multiple separate modules as follows:

. /usr/local/bin/standard-functions.sh # Standard functions
                      . /usr/local/bin/appmsg-functions.sh # App Message System functions
                      . /usr/local/bin/key-variables.sh # Key File functions
                      . /usr/local/bin/mda.sh # Multi-dimensional array functions

On top of that the system utilizes mergerfs to virtualize the ~/Desktop, ~/.config/menus/applications-merged, and ~/.local/share/applications, ../desktop-directories, ../icons, and ../mimes directories, and various systemd services to setup the system at boot, and then dynamically monitor and rewrite menus when programs are installed, uninstalled, etc.

The bottom line is that the scope of Wine Manager goes far beyond Proton, and modifying it is not trivial. I started working on it long before Proton existed because, as I said in my OP, I really abhor disorganized menus.

And for anyone reading this who might think I'm just a little bit crazy, well, you're right

I created a fully functional arbitrary multi-dimensional array system in Bash, including multiple expansion, contraction, insertion, deletion, copy, and print functions, and only crazy people do that!
                      Last edited by muncrief; 20 February 2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X