Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VKD3D-Proton 2.2 Released With Tier 1 Variable Rate Shading, Preps For DXR Ray-Tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VKD3D-Proton 2.2 Released With Tier 1 Variable Rate Shading, Preps For DXR Ray-Tracing

Phoronix: VKD3D-Proton 2.2 Released With Tier 1 Variable Rate Shading, Preps For DXR Ray-Tracing

In addition to having DXVK 1.8 released for Direct3D 9/10/11 over Vulkan, Valve's VKD3D-Proton project also is enjoying a new release in time for weekend gamers wanting to run the latest Direct3D 12 titles via Vulkan on Linux with Steam Play...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curios now if this can be used like DXVK on Windows 7 to play DX12 games through Vulkan ?
    With DXVK it was extremely easy to setup and it worked wonderfully increasing the performance of the game that I was playing by 30-50%.
    This way I would be able show to Microsoft the middle finger in big style like Linus did to Nvidia.

Comment

What's the story with ray tracing in radv?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        What's the story with ray tracing in radv?
        Nonexistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post

Nonexistent.
          I'm asking about current work on it. I'm well aware it's not supported yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I'm asking about current work on it. I'm well aware it's not supported yet.
            Intel is working on it. Then AMD may take over and do their own, see: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/3709

Comment

Will this ever find its way into wine, or do we need to deal with proton, wine, wine + dxvk, wine + vkd3d-proton. Whereas the latter is cumbersome to install if supported by the distribution in the first place, or does break with certain combinations of vkd3d and wine(staging), and one must decide between dxvk and vkd3d since both can't be in the same wine prefix ...

Comment

While I'm happy that Proton makes utilizing Steam/Wine easier for regular users, I'm also unhappy that since the release of Proton Valve crippled Steam for those who compile and use their own versions of Wine. The flickering of the Steam store on regular Wine began shortly after the release of Proton, and Valve seems bound and determined to assure that it continues, and can never be fixed. In fact it's the only program on Wine I've ever seen with the same consistent problem, and it simply cannot be remedied. Which is pretty rotten.

Comment

Valve didn't cripple Steam for Wine after Proton, it had been troublesome ever since before (CPU thread maxed out, crashes etc.). Also basically every Windows game launcher is troublesome in Wine in one way or another.
                  But yes, I also would find it convenient if Steam (and also other launchers, Mr. Sweeney...) was more Wine friendly, as Proton can be annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Valve didn't cripple Steam for Wine after Proton, it had been troublesome ever since before (CPU thread maxed out, crashes etc.). Also basically every Windows game launcher is troublesome in Wine in one way or another.
                    But yes, I also would find it convenient if Steam (and also other launchers, Mr. Sweeney...) was more Wine friendly, as Proton can be annoying.
                    Well, I don't recall having problems with it before Proton aufkrawall, so it always seemed like a strange coincidence to me. And Valve certainly isn't trying to remedy it.

However I've never tried to run any other launchers, so it's comforting to know they have the same types of problems. And if that's so my ire may be misplaced. Do you know what causes it, and if the Wine developers are working on a fix for the various problems?

In any case thank you for the information. I find Proton extremely annoying because it randomly pollutes my Game menu, and in fact I developed my own Wine Manager over the years just to keep Wine and Linux programs separate. I've always had a pet peeve about clean and organized menus, and that's one of the few places Linux falls short compared to Windows. Even after Windows 10 bastardized the start menu it's still easier to organize than on Linux, and OpenShell can make it behave like the last straightforward menu on Windows 7.

Comment

Working...
                    X