Portal 2 Sees A Vulkan Renderer Added Via DXVK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xpris View Post
    Looks like current Vulkan implementation on Portal 2 in Linux works worse than OpenGL. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin..._linux_vulkan/
    A brieft test on my AMDGPU laptop shows that the game performs slightly faster with this new vulkan translation layer than with the previous opengl translation layer.
    Last edited by bezirg; 19 February 2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

lol. vulkan support. thats a funny way to put it. isn't this the same as forcing the windows version under linux?
      is this available under windows also?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I would love for Valve to create a sequel to Portal 2, it was a great game! ❤️
        Silly Rabbit, Valve can't count to 3.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          lol. vulkan support. thats a funny way to put it. isn't this the same as forcing the windows version under linux?
          is this available under windows also?
          Yes. Vulkan renderer is also accessible on Windows too.

At Linux build dxvk is built as a native lib (.so) , on Windows version it is usual .dll

Comment

they seem to have broken mouse aim though. small or slow movements are ignored, overall response is very inconsistent as a result.

it's funny. I thought a linux update broke something since I was playing randomly throughout the two weeks before with consistent mouse response, though the sensitivity ratio makes no sense at all and never has.

edit: looks like the mouse issues are limited to non-native res + fullscreen stretch...

Ryzen 3500X + R9 390, AMDGPU, Arch
            Last edited by HenryM; 19 February 2021, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Regarding the bugs, I tried the new update and began the story with Courtesy Call. When I walk through the emancipation grill while the announcer finishes talking about cube- and button-based testing, I went into the elevator and the blip sound interrupted at the moment the announcer talks about the emancipation grill. Did anyone playing the main story of Portal 2 run into an issue? I wasn't using Vulkan.

Also, when I enable Vulkan, I get plenty of stutters with settings maxed out except for anti-aliasing.

AMD Ryzen 3 3600 (non-OC)
              32GB DDR4 RAM
              Radeon RX 5600 XT
              120GB for Arch Linux
              2TB for data including Steam library
              Linux kernel: 5.10.16-zen1-1-zen
              Mesa: 20.3.4-2
              AMDVLK: 2021.Q1.3-1
              Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 19 February 2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I tried playing it for a little bit today in both OpenGL and Vulkan modes. Screen is 2560x1600 60Hz and I ran it with VSync enabled. On my 5950 and RX 6900 it never drops below 60 FPS, and the GPU does not even leave low power 40W mode. Heh.

Comment

This is super cool.

I hope it leads up to the Steam client being able to do this automagically for games, perhaps on a "best effort, but not guaranteed" effort, like with Proton.

Vulkan: one ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them...

Comment

Leopard i know that DXVK use to be able to compile it as linux .so. but wine version is the same version as the one for windows. and since linux version of the game is using opengl then you can't use dxvk. that means that the game use proton for linux and in windows probably they just have to copy dxvk file in game folder

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                      I wonder if Portal 2 will be dropping for android?
                      I'm thinking these changes are for Stadia. Or just to keep it running on newer Linux versions, and working towards removing the dependency on OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                      X