Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nearly Two Decades Later, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Still Living On With ET: Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiba
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

What's your problem with flatpak?
    The whole runtime that comes with it.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    ...LOL
    What's your problem with flatpak?

Leave a comment:

• Shiba
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    flatpak
    ...LOL

Leave a comment:

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Oh, interesting. I wonder why? I will try to look around but I am sure their technical reasons are lost to history!
    It was mostly just a combination of (1) performance, and (2) how much more work it was to create syscalls into the engine for new functionality (which was generally "move stuff into the engine so it could be compiled 'for real'" - for, you guessed it, more performance.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post

RTCW and Enemy Territory don't use the QVM like Quake 3 did. They both went back to native, platform-specific libraries (.dll/.so) in a way similar to Quake 2.
    Oh, interesting. I wonder why? I will try to look around but I am sure their technical reasons are lost to history!

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That's strange. I thought being based on Quake III, ET mods were also written using the custom LCC-based C compiler toolchain (and q3asm) that output to architecture independent Q3VM bytecode.

In some ways, I wonder if it is easier to get going in a 32-bit Wine prefix.
    RTCW and Enemy Territory don't use the QVM like Quake 3 did. They both went back to native, platform-specific libraries (.dll/.so) in a way similar to Quake 2.

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    Wow, I still remember when this was the most advanced game you could have on Linux.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    Originally posted by gururise View Post
    Oh man.. I remember when this game came out, I put thousands of hours into it!
    "Bridge damaged.... Bridge Destroyed! "

Leave a comment:

• gururise
    replied
    Oh man.. I remember when this game came out, I put thousands of hours into it!

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    On top of that, many servers host mods that only have 32-bit libraries available and require a 32-bit executable to be used. If you play using a 64-bit executable, you can only play on 64-bit mods (which restricts you to the Legacy mod in practice). Thankfully, there are more popular Legacy servers these days, but you still can't play on all servers disaplayed in the list.
    That's strange. I thought being based on Quake III, ET mods were also written using the custom LCC-based C compiler toolchain (and q3asm) that output to architecture independent Q3VM bytecode.

In some ways, I wonder if it is easier to get going in a 32-bit Wine prefix.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X