Sony PlayStation 5 DualSense Controller Driver Coming To Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony PlayStation 5 DualSense Controller Driver Coming To Linux 5.12

Phoronix: Sony PlayStation 5 DualSense Controller Driver Coming To Linux 5.12

For as rough of a year as 2020 was, one of the many open-source accomplishments was Sony taking up "official" maintenance of their HID driver and ahead of Christmas to much surprise they published an official PlayStation 5 DualSense open-source controller driver for Linux. That PS5 controller driver is now set to be introduced with the imminent Linux 5.12 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried to get dolphin running couple days ago, needed to build it from source, as the current release is 4 years old.
    Hooking up a DS4 and having everything work, from rumble to gyro is freaking awesome!

(a cheap clone doesnt work at all however)

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
      needed to build it from source
      No, you didn't need to. You just didn't find the nightlies.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        No, you didn't need to. You just didn't find the nightlies.
        I am using Linux, not Ubuntu.

Comment

For people using Arch there is hid-playstation-dkms in the AUR.

Comment

Now if only they'd port their PS Now client as well, so we can use this shiny new controller to actually play the Playstation games on Linux, then we'd really be talking about one more small revolution for Linux gaming. Still, having official support for popular devices like this one is good news anyway.

Comment

umm... why is sony doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
                umm... why is sony doing this?
                I can only speculate but I'm wondering if Sony is jealous of Microsoft's success in the streaming game platform market. It's possible they want to use a Linux platform like Stadia does to get into the market. I'm also thinking Sony is looking at the Android market as well.

I doubt Sony is just doing this so we can buy their controller to use on Steam after all.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post

I can only speculate but I'm wondering if Sony is jealous of Microsoft's success in the streaming game platform market. It's possible they want to use a Linux platform like Stadia does to get into the market. I'm also thinking Sony is looking at the Android market as well.

I doubt Sony is just doing this so we can buy their controller to use on Steam after all.
                  Yeah......Google is using Linux on the server side, not the client side. Doesn't make sense to add controller driver for server side, it only applies to client side.

Could have something to do with Android game console, maybe some collaboration with Valve, maybe they're making some Linux based gaming play.

Comment

Anyone know if these can be used in SuperTuxKart?

Comment

Working...
                    X