Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Use Ticks Back Just Under 1% For Starting 2021

Phoronix: Steam Linux Use Ticks Back Just Under 1% For Starting 2021

With the start of the new month comes the Steam Survey figures out of Valve for the month prior. For January 2021 there is an increase in the Linux gaming percentage as it gets back to flirting with the 1% mark...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just got the steam survey today. I looked at the survey graphs afterward and it seems like something funny was going on last month. There was a huge spike in Intel/nvidia systems, and that doesn’t match the zeitgeist. Either the measuring method changed or the data was suspect.

Comment

Really interested to see what the numbers will look like a year or two after anti-cheat is sorted out. Never gonna go much past 1% before that

Comment

Simplified Chinese
        17.93%
        -10.01%

Apparently the Chinese left this month, hence the uptick...

Comment

This substantial increase is explained neatly by the fact that I switched my entire gaming to Linux.

yes, I know I am not alone in this enterprise.

I do NOT own this, FOX does. You can watch Arrested Development on Hulu, and is readily available on DVD (all three seasons). Come on!

Comment

Originally posted by ONLYDOWNDOGS View Post
            Really interested to see what the numbers will look like a year or two after anti-cheat is sorted out. Never gonna go much past 1% before that
            you really overestimate the impact of anti cheat or the games that require it.

Comment

The large drop in Chinese userbase is interesting.

I largely ignore the Steam user survey, as when I was running Steam on Linux, I never once got asked to complete the survey. Comparatively, I got asked regularly on my Windows boxes. The randomness (combined with the ability to ignore it) does make the results a bit suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                The large drop in Chinese userbase is interesting.
                Unlike the rest of the world still stuck on their first wave of lockdown, normalcy has returned to China and the kids in most provinces except a handful are back in school, and the adults back at work.

Obviously the numbers are going to drop drastically.

Comment

Been getting performance frame drops randomly with many games under proton lately.
                  Something that's exclusive to Linux at this point in time. Forced me to jump back to win10 now and again because 35fps is just not how I roll. LMAO

PS. I have a 6800XT so seeing massive frame drops and performance issues is quite alarming, unfortunately.

Comment

Steam survey is somewhat broken on Linux. I run Fedora on a laptop with Nvidia optimus (with dynamic offloading supported out of the box by Nvidia driver) and when I received the survey a couple of months ago, my GPU didn't appear in the system specs and I had no way to edit that, so I ended up appearing as an Intel integrated graphics user.
                    So Nvidia use on Linux is certainly largely underestimated

Comment

Working...
                    X