No announcement yet.

Proton Experimental Update Brings Performance Work, MS Flight Simulator VR Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton Experimental Update Brings Performance Work, MS Flight Simulator VR Mode

Phoronix: Proton Experimental Update Brings Performance Work, MS Flight Simulator VR Mode

Proton Experimental 5.13-20210107 is out today as the first 2021 release of this Wine downstream that powers Steam Play for running Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have to check this version out asap. The Sound issues really cut some of the immersion effect.

Comment

I tested this version and in my case sound issues in Cyberpunk were solved. No more need to change Pulse Audio latency. I switched to Proton Experimental as my default Proton version for handle games.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
        I tested this version and in my case sound issues in Cyberpunk were solved. No more need to change Pulse Audio latency. I switched to Proton Experimental as my default Proton version for handle games.
        Thanks for informing us!

Comment

Part of me wonders if trying to improve CP77 is worth the effort considering how many patches the game has to go through just to run properly on Windows. By the time they're done fixing bugs, the Proton patches might be obsoleted, or maybe even get in the way.
          Granted, getting the game to work is a big deal too, and it's great that it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Part of me wonders if trying to improve CP77 is worth the effort considering how many patches the game has to go through just to run properly on Windows. By the time they're done fixing bugs, the Proton patches might be obsoleted, or maybe even get in the way.
            Granted, getting the game to work is a big deal too, and it's great that it does work.
            You understand that Proton (or Wine in general) just tries to run games as best as Windows, and not workaround bugs that also happen in Windows, right? Unless those bugs are inherent to a Linux environment (e.g. massive amount of display modes in X11 compared to Windows).

So your comment makes zero sense. These patches aren't working around CP77 bugs, but bugs in Proton compared to experience on Windows. If the game is buggy on Windows, and it is exactly as buggy on Proton, it's considered a success; but if it's more buggy on Proton, we have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              You understand that Proton (or Wine in general) just tries to run games as best as Windows, and not workaround bugs that also happen in Windows, right? Unless those bugs are inherent to a Linux environment (e.g. massive amount of display modes in X11 compared to Windows).

So your comment makes zero sense. These patches aren't working around CP77 bugs, but bugs in Proton compared to experience on Windows. If the game is buggy on Windows, and it is exactly as buggy on Proton, it's considered a success; but if it's more buggy on Proton, we have a problem.
              You realize that the game is extremely buggy and these are game-specific patches, right?
              It's not unreasonable to think that a Proton patch to get the game working might be rendered moot if the game itself gets a significant patch that either:
              A. Breaks the Proton patch
              B. Fixes what that patch would have done (which in and of itself, might make the game not work anymore).

I take it you've never actually worked on a project with other people before, because when you have 2 people trying to fix problems from the same product and there isn't sufficient communication, it doesn't take long to make things worse. I doubt the Proton devs are working closely with CDPR. If they are, then fine - my post is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                You realize that the game is extremely buggy and these are game-specific patches, right?
                It's not unreasonable to think that a Proton patch to get the game working might be rendered moot if the game itself gets a significant patch that either:
                A. Breaks the Proton patch
                B. Fixes what that patch would have done (which in and of itself, might make the game not work anymore).

I take it you've never actually worked on a project with other people before, because when you have 2 people trying to fix problems from the same product and there isn't sufficient communication, it doesn't take long to make things worse. I doubt the Proton devs are working closely with CDPR. If they are, then fine - my post is irrelevant.
                AFAIK according to rumors CDPR gave early access versions to Valve up front. somewhere in the comments it was discussed.
                https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...7-Proton-Linux

Not fully working closely together but closer than other companies.

Comment

Working...
                X