Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mozo
    replied
    It's great for desktop, don't spread this bullshit please.

Leave a comment:

• HEL88
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post

So why are you here, just trolling by?
    Because I use linux on server, but for desktop is very poor system this statistic confirms it.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Frett
    replied
    Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Maybe, but Linux went down 0.18%. Simple conclusion. Nobody cares about this system on the desktop.
    So why are you here, just trolling by?

Leave a comment:

• obri
    replied
    This market share measurement is sadly a strange black box.

This revising of numbers makes me wonder how accurate it may be - or not.

Leave a comment:

• HEL88
    replied
    Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
    It looks like a half of those new Chinese users were just bots or something, 47.18% (+30.22) dropped to just 31.07% (+11.88).

Maybe, but Linux went down 0.18%. Simple conclusion. Nobody cares about this system on the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• iewuavix
    replied
    Do they count people who use steam on wine as Linux market share? I have had better mileage by running some games under wine over using Proton from within steam, in part I think because it is easier to tune wine settings than proton settings. Some improvements here could make me change my mind.

It would also be interesting to see how many of their users would prefer Linux even though they are not using Linux.

But additionally I also switched mostly to using gog.com, even buying some games there that I already owned on Steam, mostly because it is easier to rapidly iterate on wine prefixes if you have the installer files as opposed to having to re-download the game files all the time.

Leave a comment:

• xen0n
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    I thought in order for Chinese citizens to use steam, valve would need to release a special version of steam for that market which is rife with propaganda (something CCP insist on).. Maybe they already do that? but if so then why the Chinese data being factored in with global client? very odd.
    The official Steam client is not banned by the Great Firewall, even multiple download mirrors are available. And the "special client" thing never went anywhere, the motive stagnated from the very beginning, no news since then. I won't comment on the "propaganda" thing, false thing aside, why not use the "censorship" word instead, at least that's what the local Steam communities are concerned about

But I think majority of Chinese Steam users are indeed Windows users, because the local tech giants don't release Linux versions of their apps (think Tencent QQ and such). I am Chinese, play Steam games, and don't have a single copy of Windows in my home, but I never received a Steam HW survey last year. (Maybe once? )

Leave a comment:

• jo-erlend
    replied
    But how many people are 1%? I'm asking because Windows 95 had around 20 million people and that gave us great games and tools like Adobe Photoshop because it was a sufficient number of paying users to make it profitable. What I'm interested in, is whether the number of Linux gamers is large enough to make it sustainable. I don't care if there are less Windows users, I want more Linux users.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I cannot freaking catch anything. Ugh.
    I was sleeping. Somebody screwed up my sleep schedule....
    Makes you wonder how Michael has a sleep schedule, of any kind.

Leave a comment:

• Ladis
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

I really do not unterstand why anyone whould use a Nvidia GPU ...
    I have a Vega64 right now and i will buy a 6800XT soon.
    about your system... my Threadripper 1920X is also 12C24T yes your ram of 192GB ram is nice my threadrippers max ram is only 128GB...

I think my Vega64 is better with modern ACO Opensource drivers than a "NV Tesla P4 (P4 corresponds to GF 1080" and having no monitor outputs is really bad...
    The server is years old and for machine learning. It's not mine and not meant for gaming (otherwise my brother would choose one stronger GPU instead of two weaker at that time).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X