Valve Revises Steam's December 2020 Linux Marketshare To 0.74%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mozo View Post
    This is not true. Linux is my main OS for 15 years and it's great. Windows is ugly, slow, bloated, insecure and inconvenient pile of crap.
    Linux has been a pile of crap for me lately so not sure what you're talking about lol. If you skip updating, you will gain stability at a cost. The same is true for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
      But how many people are 1%?
      According to the post about a dozen before yours, ~185K

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
      What I'm interested in, is whether the number of Linux gamers is large enough to make it sustainable. I don't care if there are less Windows users, I want more Linux users.
      A good attitude. But to answer your question: no, it isn't. It isn't even close to not even being close. It needs to be at least an order of magnitude higher, and given the competition for people's time these days more like at least 20x-50x.
      (A good dev tem, or a good engine, could get away with "only" 10x, because code is a TINY fraction of modern games - it's nearly ALL assets. Everyone else, especially if they're making "niche" games, would need the higher multiplier for it to be worth the effort).

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
        Maybe, but Linux went down 0.18%. Simple conclusion. Nobody cares about this system on the desktop.
        There are still some pretty odd things going on with the Steam HW survey, eg the overview graphs aren't matching the underlying details (try "click for more info" on DX10/11/12), and the recent update seems to have made that discrepancy worse. I say "servers" because the overview graph shows a big bump in 6-core systems.

I'm still thinking this is a relatively small number of servers doing "something" that triggers the survey multiple times.

Looking at the GOG graphs, all indications are that around 15M systems, either old machines or servers (low clocked Intel CPUs running Win95) appeared in the stats for the first time. Nobody moved from Linux to Windows, and no significant change in Win10 usage occurred.

You can see the AMD/Intel CPU numbers shift drastically, as well as AMD/Intel/NVidia GPU numbers. It's unlikely that all those happened at the same time in the same month under current market conditions.

(note that Win95 specifically was visible before update but now just "pre-Win10")

Originally posted by arQon View Post
        According to the post about a dozen before yours, ~185K

A good attitude. But to answer your question: no, it isn't. It isn't even close to not even being close. It needs to be at least an order of magnitude higher, and given the competition for people's time these days more like at least 20x-50x.
        (A good dev tem, or a good engine, could get away with "only" 10x, because code is a TINY fraction of modern games - it's nearly ALL assets. Everyone else, especially if they're making "niche" games, would need the higher multiplier for it to be worth the effort).
        That's distinct users per day AFAIK - if you use distinct users per month (which I think is more relevant) the number is closer to 1M, based on 95M distinct users per month back in Feb 2020 (as opposed to 25M daily users -> 185K).
        Last edited by bridgman; 04 January 2021, 10:38 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

bridgman

I see no reason why 6+ cores are unusal now. AMD began the race for most cores with the only partly 6/8 core AMD FX cpus - this was 8 years ago. I am sure these are still counted as 6/8 cores. Intel jumped on the 6+ way much later with Coffee Lake (iX-8) - but that was 3 years ago already. As Intel had a much higher marketshare you can expect that every gaming system which is less than 2 years old has at least 6 cores and is certainly no server.

Comment

Linux is my main OS for 15 years and it's great.
            yes, yes, and you by any chance you are IT stuf

Windows is ugly, slow, bloated, insecure and inconvenient pile of crap.
            Yes, yes, that's why your boss's boss don't uses linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              bridgmanI see no reason why 6+ cores are unusal now. AMD began the race for most cores with the only partly 6/8 core AMD FX cpus - this was 8 years ago. I am sure these are still counted as 6/8 cores. Intel jumped on the 6+ way much later with Coffee Lake (iX-8) - but that was 3 years ago already. As Intel had a much higher marketshare you can expect that every gaming system which is less than 2 years old has at least 6 cores and is certainly no server.
              No argument about "6+ cores not being unusual", what I'm saying is that all exactly 6 cores plus all very low clocks plus all Chinese speaking plus all old Windows OS sounds like something other than a bunch of people buying new Windows laptops with Intel CPUs.
              Test signature

Comment

This is not true. Linux is my main OS for 15 years and it's great. Windows is ugly, slow, bloated, insecure and inconvenient pile of crap.
                I installed Linux on a relative's laptop recently, and with a recent kernel update, i915 has been unstable (just outright crashes the kernel at seemingly random). There's reports about this on Arch's forums. This isn't the first time this has happened with i915, and I've ran into this a lot with my HD7850 some years ago. They aren't happy about it, and it looks like I'll be doing a clean Windows install tomorrow.

As bad as Windows might be, I've never had it just outright crash without an obvious reason for over 15 years.

Windows is ugly, slow, bloated, insecure and inconvenient pile of crap.
                In my opinion, every DE that isn't GNOME is ugly, and even that is only good since it largely stays out of the way Windows is only bloated if you keep the default mess on consumer editions of Windows (using LTSC or a simple PowerShell command to remove majority of the UWP apps works fine). Windows security is fine nowadays.

As for it being an inconvenience, that depends on what you're doing. With games specifically, Linux is much more inconvenient even today, hence the Steam numbers. Yeah some games work fine, after hammering in some solutions and dealing with compromises (last major game I played on Linux was Monster Hunter World, which crashed any time a video played). The growing list of EAC games still don't work on Linux. Getting CP2077 working at all on Linux is an adventure, let alone optimally.

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                I really do not unterstand why anyone whould use a Nvidia GPU ...
                Because their GPUs work, along with their drivers.

HDMI is straight up broken on Polaris (I can personally confirm it across 5 different GPUs; a GTX 1060 was fine though), and I've heard reports about HDMI issues even with RDNA2. And although this isn't specific to Linux, AMD broke Oculus Link (VR) support on Polaris and Vega GPUs (GPUs that should be more than mature by now) about 5-6 driver releases ago on Windows and doesn't seem interested in fixing it.
                Last edited by Guest; 05 January 2021, 02:54 AM.

Comment

bridgman
                  It sounds for me that China has no lockdown anymore for Internet gaming cafes. The most played games don't need highend hardware and don't need DX12.

Comment

I know when Conan Exiles came out 2016, it was a constant battle to try defend your base against Chinese gamers who constantly found ways to exploit the game. Certainly kept the Dev's on their toes and a lot of gamers pissed. Was fun watching a bunch of nudes standing on each other to peer in your window.

Point being, one more example of Chinese mingling with everyone else on Steam, until region locking official servers kicked in.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

You should install on your relative's laptop some stable distro, not Arch, it's your fault. I usually install Mint for all my non IT friends and there are 7 years old installations without a single problem. I migrated over 300 people and none of them look back and they are very happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X