No announcement yet.

Valve Revises Steam's December 2020 Linux Marketshare To 0.74%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Linux users care more about digital detachment during 'traditional' occassions......
    Hi

Comment

I said in the original article that it would be corrected.
      It didn't make much sense as it was, now it is still surprising (holidays and lockdowns tend to favor Linux usage) but to a more reasonable extent.
      Plus, as already said, if the market still grows as a whole, it still means more Linux users and more turnover for games on the Linux stat section, hence justifying in any case the effort.

Comment

Over the Christmass I and my brother decided to play Borderlands 3, but as this game is more demanding than the previous episodes and I have an ancient desktop, my brother took a test server from his work (GPU with double performance) so I can stream the game from it (input lag 1/60s, corresponding to one frame in 60fps). Guess what, after a week and 30 hours of playing, it asked for the survey . So don't be surprised if you see there an HP ProLiant server with 2x Xeon 12C24T, 192GB RAM and DisplayLink (0MB RAM) video adapter. As we don't have the NVidia license manager at hand to allow streaming at more than 720p, we attached a DisplayLink adapter and connected an LCD monitor to it (the GPUs have no monitor outputs). The game itself runs on one of the two NV Tesla P4 (P4 corresponds to GF 1080). (The NVidia's paid licensing for streaming is the reason why Google Stadia uses AMD GPUs.)
        Last edited by Ladis; 03 January 2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Cyberpunk 2077 works as well as on windows with the right GPU, only issues is additional frame jitter and freezes when minimized.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
            You can follow the trends as usual on GOL: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/steam-tracker/
            Thank you again, Liam. Your graphs show clearly an increase of Chinese players and a market share of Linux on English installations not moving significantly. The question is thus whether this sudden influx of Chinese players is real and then why or if it is just a statistical fluke in steam's database as it was at first but only less visible now.

Comment

I thought in order for Chinese citizens to use steam, valve would need to release a special version of steam for that market which is rife with propaganda (something CCP insist on).. Maybe they already do that? but if so then why the Chinese data being factored in with global client? very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post
                Over the Christmass I and my brother decided to play Borderlands 3, but as this game is more demanding than the previous episodes and I have an ancient desktop, my brother took a test server from his work (GPU with double performance) so I can stream the game from it (input lag 1/60s, corresponding to one frame in 60fps). Guess what, after a week and 30 hours of playing, it asked for the survey . So don't be surprised if you see there an HP ProLiant server with 2x Xeon 12C24T, 192GB RAM and DisplayLink (0MB RAM) video adapter. As we don't have the NVidia license manager at hand to allow streaming at more than 720p, we attached a DisplayLink adapter and connected an LCD monitor to it (the GPUs have no monitor outputs). The game itself runs on one of the two NV Tesla P4 (P4 corresponds to GF 1080). (The NVidia's paid licensing for streaming is the reason why Google Stadia uses AMD GPUs.)
                I really do not unterstand why anyone whould use a Nvidia GPU ...
                I have a Vega64 right now and i will buy a 6800XT soon.
                about your system... my Threadripper 1920X is also 12C24T yes your ram of 192GB ram is nice my threadrippers max ram is only 128GB...

I think my Vega64 is better with modern ACO Opensource drivers than a "NV Tesla P4 (P4 corresponds to GF 1080" and having no monitor outputs is really bad...
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

I really do not unterstand why anyone whould use a Nvidia GPU ...
                  I have a Vega64 right now and i will buy a 6800XT soon.
                  about your system... my Threadripper 1920X is also 12C24T yes your ram of 192GB ram is nice my threadrippers max ram is only 128GB...

I think my Vega64 is better with modern ACO Opensource drivers than a "NV Tesla P4 (P4 corresponds to GF 1080" and having no monitor outputs is really bad...
                  The server is years old and for machine learning. It's not mine and not meant for gaming (otherwise my brother would choose one stronger GPU instead of two weaker at that time).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I cannot freaking catch anything. Ugh.
                    I was sleeping. Somebody screwed up my sleep schedule....
                    Makes you wonder how Michael has a sleep schedule, of any kind.

Comment

But how many people are 1%? I'm asking because Windows 95 had around 20 million people and that gave us great games and tools like Adobe Photoshop because it was a sufficient number of paying users to make it profitable. What I'm interested in, is whether the number of Linux gamers is large enough to make it sustainable. I don't care if there are less Windows users, I want more Linux users.

Comment

Working...
                      X