Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Continued Doing A Lot For Linux Gaming & Open-Source Radeon Drivers In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30% to Valve still leaves 70% for the developers/pubs. Not to mention, via Proton + Steam on Linux, Valve sort of "subsidizes" Linux work for games that'll run under Wine/Proton for the devs. Some may say "oh but Linux is only 1%~ of the market," but that's still 1% of tens of millions of users. And even 1% of that is still at least some sales.

As a side, I'm glad Valve is a private company. Not having to answer to shareholders probably helps with developing/funding desktop Linux stuff at a loss without anyone complaining.

Comment

Thad RADV driver.. What is it? Do I have it?
      😳🤔 I'm using normal Linux distro (Manjaro) with Mesa. No idea what drivers I should install on top of normal Manjaro to have all benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
        Thad RADV driver.. What is it? Do I have it?
        😳🤔 I'm using normal Linux distro (Manjaro) with Mesa. No idea what drivers I should install on top of normal Manjaro to have all benefits?
        Yes, if you are running a stock distro you probably have RADV as your default Vulkan driver.

if you have vkinfo available you can run that and look at GPU ID.
        Test signature

Comment

I am just super happy anyone (with the means) is tackling this issue. It seems Gabe Newell has made it his personal mission to provide gamers an alternative to Windows and I think it's just great!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            tell your AMD people there is simple reason why they should increase support of Valve/Proton.
            if AMD helps bring more hardware demanding games run well on linux the people will start to buy more expensive AMD hardware.
            The linux people already do have better hardware than windows people but imagine like very hardware demanting games like DayZ work then the people have pressure to buy more expensive amd hardware.
            the point of linux users already have better and more expensive hardware proof that they are willingly to spend even more.

I know DayZ for example is not some modern Ray-tracing game you sell 6800XT but it is even more impressive to see that many of my friends want to play DayZ instead of a Raytracing game...
            and ARMA3/DayZ from Bohemia Interactive tent to be very hardware hungry and in the case of no raytracing the 6900XT is even much faster than a RTX 3090... means a DayZ customer would buy the 6900XT instead of 3090 because the game has no raytracing anyway and amd is faster without raytacing.

Linux Desktop is 1% marketshare and because of this you make prioritisation/discrimination but in my point of view this is just the wrong way of thinking. and why is this so ?
            because these statistics are numbers of the "past" and at best "Present" but it is fact that past and present to not care in the business world. the "Future" is what counts the best.
            the 1% linux desktop people have the will to buy faster and more expensive amd hardware
            but tell me why should i upgrade my vega64 to a 6800XT for 1000€ right now and upgrade my Threadripper 1900x to a 2950X for 750€ right now? why should i ? my games like DayZ just don't work. and other people have the same problem. we desktop linux people have the will to buy better hardware but in fact we have no reason why we should do so because the games just don't work.

in the past there was the excuse of amd is bankrupted and loses money so there is no room for improvement ... well i tell you something i Bought bulldozer FX8320 cpu in a time 2013 all the people bought intel 3770K and 2700K because it was faster on windows with old games. and bulldozer was faster on linux in multitasking. on GPU site the same story.

so now AMD makes a lot of money means the excuse does not count anymore... in my point of view amd could make even more money in the future if they start to make hardware demanting games like DayZ work on linux. even if the past and present statistic is only 1%

on windows you support all games even games without big hardware hunger but on linux if you have small team you sould start with the hardware hungry games. to improve the demant on new hardware.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              ... well i tell you something i Bought bulldozer FX8320 cpu in a time 2013 all the people bought intel 3770K and 2700K because it was faster on windows with old games. and bulldozer was faster on linux in multitasking. on GPU site the same story.
              dito (FX8350) served me well till 2020 ...home desktop. I was wating till AMD pushed some proper sucessor. with zen 2 they did. even zen 1 triggerd me.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yes, if you are running a stock distro you probably have RADV as your default Vulkan driver.

if you have vkinfo available you can run that and look at GPU ID.
                Thanks! I think it works:
                Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Layers: count = 4 [/COLOR]
                =================
                VK_LAYER_VALVE_steam_fossilize_32 (Steam Pipeline Caching Layer) Vulkan version 1.2.136, layer version 1:
                       Layer Extensions: count = 0
                       Devices: count = 1
                               GPU id = 0 (AMD RADV NAVI10 (ACO))
                               Layer-Device Extensions: count = 0[/FONT]
                Didn't knew I even have steam pipelines in my computer, Always thought of it as fully electronic device

Comment

We -as gamers on linux- own a lot to the amazing work made from the Valve devs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    30% is a more then fair amount for a publisher, publishing costs a lot.
                    An important distinction to make here is that Valve is not a publisher, outside of their own games. They are (primarily) a distributor. The 20-30% Valve takes is in addition to the share the games publisher takes. I've read stories that go as far as Valve taking 30%, publishers taking 50%, leaving only 20% of the game's revenue for the actual developer. This isn't so much a problem for companies like Rockstar, who are both developing and publishing their own games, but might be(come) a problem for devs like Gearbox Software ( famous for their Borderlands series ) who depend on publishers like Take-Two / 2K for their releases. It's at least a 3-way split ( sometimes more if multiple developers / publishers are involved ) and the developers get the short end of the stick every time.

Now, I'm not saying it's not fair that Valve takes a 30% cut, I am not a bookkeeper. I'm just saying that developers getting the smallest piece of the pie when they are the ones that actually make the product is definitively not fair IMMO.
                    The solution ? I wouldn't know where to start. People being d***s is a problem that has been around since the dawn of mankind…

Comment

I want to know where the Linux has a 1% share of the market statistic comes from; near as I can tell that is just something you say when you think a platform is irrelevant. It has been my experience that when anyone says a percentage without a citation it's made up. For instance on my Discord where I have 1000+ members for my Minecraft mod packs. I could say that about 25% run on Linux. But where would I've gotten that number? Am I saying that at least 250 of them are running Linux? Clearly it's conjecture. Just going on conversations alone and whom I've suggested going to Linux when they complain about the insane updates from Windows based on memory alone that is at about 25%, even then it's still a made up number. Actively I would say out of 1000+ members there are about 15 people in total that talk to me and 25% of them probably are on Linux based on the conversation. This is like a certain viral statistic. So if the real sample is 25% of 15, and you base that against the total population rounded to 1000, the actual percentage might be (still conjecture you see):
                      15 * 25% = 3.75 / 1000 = 0.00375 * 100 = 0.375%

Which is completely made up. Looks good but it isn't.

What happened to articles "and the like" that had citations?

Comment

Working...
                      X