No announcement yet.

Cyberpunk 2077 Can Run On Linux With Steam Play's Proton 5.13-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone else was having issues with Proton 5.13 not launching any games I finally figured it out.

If you’re on the Steam Beta client, on the left hand side where it lists the tools - look for Steam Linux Runtime - Soldier and right click on it, and change the Betas section to use “client_beta”

Once I did that all my games started launching again with 5.13-3. Nice!

I’m now using oibaf’s ppa for Mesa git and Proton 5.13-4 on Ubuntu 20.04, and Cyberpunk is running smooth so far on my 8GB RX 480 and 4670K. I’m on 1080p and it defaulted to the High preset and I’m getting 65-90 fps (see edit below) whenever I check (monitor OSD shows FreeSync hz). So far so good.

(edit: I was mistaken, running mangohud showed the fps in the 30s - 40s when the monitor OSD was reporting 60s - 90s, which in hindsight now makes sense as LFC (low framerate compensation) kicked in with the frame rate doubling. As a result of FreeSync and LFC, the game runs very smooth, even on High preset. Just waiting for some of the missing audio issues to be ironed out)

I wasn’t planning on dropping $59.99 but Linux support on launch day? No brainer for me. I’m not gonna patientgamer this one.
    Last edited by perpetually high; 13 December 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      One thing is for sure. There is interest from players on linux. I hope CD PROKECT RED sees this and releases a more native like solution. Especially since the capability is already implemented with stadia.. Unless somehow was sponsored by google for them exclusively and forbids the reusal.
      You're joking, right? CDPR hates Linux now, and there's a good reason why they made in DX12. You will not see Linux port. I would love to play it but I refuse to support those arogant assholes, how they treated Linux community.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        If anyone else was having issues with Proton 5.13 not launching any games I finally figured it out.

If you’re on the Steam Beta client, on the left hand side where it lists the tools - look for Steam Linux Runtime - Soldier and right click on it, and change the Betas section to use “client_beta”

Once I did that all my games started launching again with 5.13-3. Nice!

I’m now using oibaf’s ppa for Mesa git and Proton 5.13-4 on Ubuntu 20.04, and Cyberpunk is running smooth so far on my 8GB RX 480 and 4670K. I’m on 1080p and it defaulted to the High preset and I’m getting 65-90 FPS whenever I check (monitor OSD shows FreeSync hz). So far so good.

I wasn’t planning on dropping $59.99 but Linux support on launch day? No brainer for me. I’m not gonna patientgamer this one.
        same for me ... Yesterday I din't even bother playing cyberpunk ...thought - well it will take a few days or weeks for linux support via proton /wo lutris...so no hury to spend money. But this ...all in

Comment

Originally posted by alosarjos View Post
          I still can't believe all the things Valve is still providing... God bless them
          Yeah, it leaves the open question. Buy the game through GOG to support the game producer fully, or through Steam to give part of the profit to Valve for their Linux work.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post

You're joking, right? CDPR hates Linux now, and there's a good reason why they made in DX12. You will not see Linux port. I would love to play it but I refuse to support those arogant assholes, how they treated Linux community.
            What makes you say that?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              What makes you say that?
              There was a upon a time when CDPR ported Witcher 2 to Linux, it was horrible when the port launched, and people were so outrageously bad at giving constructive criticism that people assume that CDPR actually hated the Linux community. Fortunately CDPR came through and patched the port up to a more stable release.

So if the majority of Linux-gamers are childish, well I guess this is why we cannot have nice things.

Comment

You know that CDPR provided the Proton team with an early build just so we could get Proton support on Day 1, right?

Comment

Sadly not working for me yet on Manjaro Budgie. Tried 5.9, 5.8 and 5.4 kernel with mesa-git. It does start the game launcher but after pressing start it crashes silently. Vega 64 here on a R9 3900X.

On proton 5.13-4 the launcher does only show if I set: sysctl kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1
                  Otherwise it does launch on Proton-GE-5.9 without the sysctl option.

Update: its working now. I redownloaded and started directly with Proton 5.13-4 having the sysctl option on on first launch. Then no launcher did appear at all strangely.
                  Last edited by ntropy; 10 December 2020, 05:56 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Launches on my Ubuntu GTX 1070 machine, ending up in a crash/freezing shortly after showing developer logo
                    Doesn't even launch on my other RX 5700 running Manjaro.

I am bummed and already downloading on windows drive

Comment

Great stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X