Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDL 2.0.14 Being Prepared With OS/2 Support, PS5 DualSense + Xbox Series X Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL 2.0.14 Being Prepared With OS/2 Support, PS5 DualSense + Xbox Series X Controllers

Phoronix: SDL 2.0.14 Being Prepared With OS/2 Support, PS5 DualSense + Xbox Series X Controllers

A new SDL2 library release is being prepared for this widely-used, cross-platform abstraction layer popular with games for supporting a wide range of input devices / peripherals and other vast subsystem coverage in a portable manner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to know more about the rationale for OS/2 support. I am sure someone, somewhere needs this.

Comment

Originally posted by creoflux View Post
      I would like to know more about the rationale for OS/2 support. I am sure someone, somewhere needs this.
      Maybe not the case for this one but a lot of F/OSS projects will follow money.
      So if a big spender comes in and does the $$$ dance over some functions, a lot of projects will dance along.
      Don't get me wrong. I think this is perfectly natural. It's not like $$$ is taking over feature requests anytime soon.

Comment

It could be a transition library for one of the remaining firms still using OS/2 for ATMs or something but the annotations all point to a one-man-job who seems to be big in the OS/2 community, may just be a pet project to mainline existing code before it gets lost.

Comment

They still don't support multiple mice, do they? They have it on their roadmap for at least 7 years now...will it ever be implemented?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

So if a big spender comes in and does the $$$ dance over some functions, a lot of projects will dance along.
            Don't get me wrong. I think this is perfectly natural. It's not like $$$ is taking over feature requests anytime soon.
            You didn't explain anything. Who on Earth is paying to get SDL2 to support OS/2?

Comment

I did notice there is mention of eComStation and ArcaOS in SDL Wiki. ArcaOS, from what I found is OS/2-based and still actively supported with a release this year (5.0.6). This is entirely me speculating, but perhaps it is to support this OS?

Comment

I did notice there is mention of eComStation and ArcaOS in SDL Wiki. ArcaOS, from what I found is OS/2-based and still actively supported with a release this year (5.0.6). This is entirely me speculating, but perhaps it is to support this OS?
                I too think that. Kinda like how "Linux support" usually means more than just Ubuntu, "OS/2" support means more than just the "old" OS/2.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Clarification: Who's paying for OS/2 support for PS5 controllers?

Comment

OS/2 is still being maintained as ArcaOS. SDL, VLC and a number of open source apps have had OS/2 support added recently. OS isn't much use without software.

Comment

Working...
                    X