Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDL 2.0.14 Being Prepared With OS/2 Support, PS5 DualSense + Xbox Series X Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL 2.0.14 Being Prepared With OS/2 Support, PS5 DualSense + Xbox Series X Controllers

Phoronix: SDL 2.0.14 Being Prepared With OS/2 Support, PS5 DualSense + Xbox Series X Controllers

A new SDL2 library release is being prepared for this widely-used, cross-platform abstraction layer popular with games for supporting a wide range of input devices / peripherals and other vast subsystem coverage in a portable manner...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-2.0.14-Coming

I would like to know more about the rationale for OS/2 support. I am sure someone, somewhere needs this.

Comment

Originally posted by creoflux View Post
      I would like to know more about the rationale for OS/2 support. I am sure someone, somewhere needs this.
      Maybe not the case for this one but a lot of F/OSS projects will follow money.
      So if a big spender comes in and does the $$$ dance over some functions, a lot of projects will dance along.
      Don't get me wrong. I think this is perfectly natural. It's not like $$$ is taking over feature requests anytime soon.

Comment

It could be a transition library for one of the remaining firms still using OS/2 for ATMs or something but the annotations all point to a one-man-job who seems to be big in the OS/2 community, may just be a pet project to mainline existing code before it gets lost.

Comment

They still don't support multiple mice, do they? They have it on their roadmap for at least 7 years now...will it ever be implemented?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

So if a big spender comes in and does the $$$ dance over some functions, a lot of projects will dance along.
            Don't get me wrong. I think this is perfectly natural. It's not like $$$ is taking over feature requests anytime soon.
            You didn't explain anything. Who on Earth is paying to get SDL2 to support OS/2?

Comment

I did notice there is mention of eComStation and ArcaOS in SDL Wiki. ArcaOS, from what I found is OS/2-based and still actively supported with a release this year (5.0.6). This is entirely me speculating, but perhaps it is to support this OS?

Comment

I did notice there is mention of eComStation and ArcaOS in SDL Wiki. ArcaOS, from what I found is OS/2-based and still actively supported with a release this year (5.0.6). This is entirely me speculating, but perhaps it is to support this OS?
                I too think that. Kinda like how "Linux support" usually means more than just Ubuntu, "OS/2" support means more than just the "old" OS/2.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Clarification: Who's paying for OS/2 support for PS5 controllers?

Comment

OS/2 is still being maintained as ArcaOS. SDL, VLC and a number of open source apps have had OS/2 support added recently. OS isn't much use without software.

Comment

Working...
                    X