Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    I'm not sure on what major features I'm missing out on
    If the games work fine then its likely that it won't matter or make much difference if any at all in that case. If you have a game with a problem then its worth having a better version to see if its fixed. In other words, you should just enjoy the game if it works fine on 5.13 or lower.

Comment

Allot of people seem to still not know about being able to update dxvk in your proton version manually, or Proton-GE, Proton-TKG projects.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        Allot of people seem to still not know about being able to update dxvk in your proton version manually, or Proton-GE, Proton-TKG projects.
        link to howto, or do we need to stay in the dark so you can say this again sometime?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Yeah I tried 5.13-3 also. No go. Switching only the version dropdown to 5.0-10 makes the games work and properly launch. So I'm not sure what's going on.

I tried PROTON_LOG=1 and I can't even get a log file generated. I also tried running steam from the command line to see if I could spot something. That was about as far as I went to troubleshooting it. I'm kind of embarrassed I can't figure it out, but at the same time 5.0-10 just works so I don't care that much but also don't know what to think. I just found out what "pressure vessel" was a few days ago and I frequent phoronix daily.

Thanks, I'm installed through apt via the steam package. I was originally working with 5.13-1 and then it broke with 5.13-2 and still not working with 5.13-3. I'm not sure on what major features I'm missing out on, but even latest games like Fallen Order and DOOM Eternal work super smooth with 5.0-10.

It's mostly DX12 work from what I gather. You don't have mangohud or vkbasalt do you? Those cause issues with Proton 5.13-x.

Comment

Originally posted by clintar View Post

link to howto, or do we need to stay in the dark so you can say this again sometime?
            I prefer to keep you in the dark so I can say it again sometime. Google is your friend

Also for me, vkbasalt has stopped working completely, even on native games, I tried on Pop!_OS and Manjaro, compiled fine, just causes games to crash. This even happened on my 1080Ti. I might try a OLD version of vkbasalt sometime as I suspect its newer releases are broken.

Comment

This is a known problem, although we only discovered it just before the 6800/XT launch and it took a couple of days to get communicated around the company.

https://gitlab.steamos.cloud/steamrt...ls/-/issues/29

There is a beta version that fixes the problem, although most people just roll back to Proton 5.10.

It seems to cause problems with any driver that installs into /opt, including both AMD Vulkan and our OpenCL driver.
              Last edited by bridgman; 07 December 2020, 11:13 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                This is a known problem, although we only discovered it just before the 6800/XT launch and it took a couple of days to get communicated around the company.

https://gitlab.steamos.cloud/steamrt...ls/-/issues/29

There is a beta version that fixes the problem, although most people just roll back to Proton 5.10.

It seems to cause problems with any driver that installs into /opt, including both AMD Vulkan and our OpenCL driver.
                Seem to be a lot of different github issues about this. no one place to find info

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post

It's mostly DX12 work from what I gather. You don't have mangohud or vkbasalt do you? Those cause issues with Proton 5.13-x.
                  Have both installed actually. I had a hunch it was related to those two but couldn't figure out how to make it work. Thanks, good to know. I'll stick with 5.10 until it gets sorted out.

Sounds like two separate issues that broke Proton 5.13 for most people. Those with mangohud/vkbasalt installed and those with the OpenCL issue with /opt and libdrm.so.2.

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  I forgot to mention I tried 5.21-GE-1 also and no avail. But I still don't like to use the GE Proton as the main one chosen under the Steam settings. Just using it on a one-by-one basis if it fixes something for a particular game.

Comment

For me Proton 5.13 is broken even without mangold/vkbasalt or drivers installed into /opt.

Comment

Run Steam with the environment variable PRESSURE_VESSEL_VERBOSE=1 and check the logs for clues. There are some hacky workarounds available.

Comment

Working...
                      X