Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Marketshare Remained Flat For November

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steam On Linux Marketshare Remained Flat For November

    Phoronix: Steam On Linux Marketshare Remained Flat For November

    Valve has just updated their Steam Survey results for November, showing how the Linux gaming marketshare continues to evolve during this pandemic-driven year...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-November-2020

  • #2
    Some observations:
    OS:
    - No macOS 11.0 (still not supported)
    - Arch and Manjaro represent a big part of Linux user base.
    CPU:
    - Increase of hexa- and octa-core CPUs (Intel 8th+ + Ryzen)
    - 78% are Haswell+
    GPU:
    - Decrease of GTX 1060 and Increase of RTX 2060, RTX 2070, GTX 1650 and GTX 1660
    Display:
    - FHD still dominant with increase in QHD (2560x1440p) and UHD (3840x2160p).

    Comment


    • #3
      I mean screw the statistics every month, we may want more but the consequence won't necessarily be better. I am just thinking more posts on rookies to help, or security wise (more chance to get attacked like the big counterpart). Besides, I want to be in a "underdog"-userbase-platform.

      I am not saying it's "it's bad to show the statistics". I can only let my wallet be spent on Linux games/applications so many times...
      Last edited by Sethox; 02 December 2020, 07:28 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        It would be fun to hack the results some month to show 98% GNU/Linux.

        Count how many minutes it would take the breathless tech press morons to rush out their "year of the LInux desktop" articles.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          I mean screw the statistics every month, we may want more but the consequence won't necessarily be better. I am just thinking more posts on rookies to help, or security wise (more chance to get attacked like the big counterpart). Besides, I want to be in a "underdog"-userbase-platform.

          I am not saying it's "it's bad to show the statistics". I can only let my wallet be spent on Linux games/applications so many times...
          Screw the laws of physics as well!

          Comment


          • #6
            So apparently Covid-19 > Steam for Linux.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sethox View Post
              I mean screw the statistics every month, we may want more but the consequence won't necessarily be better. I am just thinking more posts on rookies to help, or security wise (more chance to get attacked like the big counterpart). Besides, I want to be in a "underdog"-userbase-platform.

              I am not saying it's "it's bad to show the statistics". I can only let my wallet be spent on Linux games/applications so many times...
              So you like the almost no security design that is now because nothing more is needed for 1% marketshare ?
              Just look at how bad is Linux now in terms of privacy and security compared with Android for example, where you can control webcam, mike, location access and even network access with application firewalls.
              On Linux the security it's like this:
              Let all programs access the webcam, mike, list of wifi networks around to send to Google to pinpoint your location
              Let all programs access the network and send whatever they want from your computer.
              If the programs need superuser privileges from some tasks, request user's password, but don't inform him for what exactly or control in any way that the program doesn't do anything that the user did not intend, like deleting all files or formatting some drive.

              In case shit happens, just blame the user because it was too stupid and don't mention that the system didn't inform him about the consequences or gave him any methods to control bad programs.

              I would rather have more users and being attacked more to have improved privacy and security than less user and hope that people don't write malware for it because of its marketshare.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Setif View Post
                Some observations:
                OS:
                - No macOS 11.0 (still not supported)
                - Arch and Manjaro represent a big part of Linux user base.
                CPU:
                - Increase of hexa- and octa-core CPUs (Intel 8th+ + Ryzen)
                - 78% are Haswell+
                GPU:
                - Decrease of GTX 1060 and Increase of RTX 2060, RTX 2070, GTX 1650 and GTX 1660
                Display:
                - FHD still dominant with increase in QHD (2560x1440p) and UHD (3840x2160p).
                Arch and Manjaro make it the easiest to get up-to-date software. No surprise that gaming oriented people on Linux end up there. I'm on Fedora now but I'm going back. I just feel more comfortable with pacman.

                The CPU part doesn't surprise me much either. A person would have to be really out of the know to buy a quad-core anything these days. I like to optimistically think the AMD CPU numbers would be better if their good stuff wasn't so hard to find or manufacturers would quit releasing single stick ram APU systems...that shit is just cruel.

                That's because damn AMD hasn't releases a proper upgrade to the RX 4XX/5XX lines. Everything has been upper mid-grade and above from AMD. Nvidia has been pandering to the budget crowd. I have a 4GB RX 580. Paid $125 for it. AMD has not released a GPU in the sub $250 range since. Nvidia has while releasing them with marketing buzzword features like ray tracing. Cheap shit with buzzwords. There's the secret sauce, AMD.

                I just got a 4K TV but I game on it at 1080p or 1440p. I wonder where people like me stand on that chart. Does it go with desktop resolution or in-game resolution?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Still no survey for me. I'm on GNU/Linux (Manjaro) for ~2 years now. How do they pick the ppl that can participate? I'm always using the Steam Beta Client, maybe that's an issue or something. I read somewhere that accounts with low playtime also can be filtered out sometimes. I'd say I'm somewhere between 20 - 30h playtime per month on Steam.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MadByte View Post
                    Still no survey for me. I'm on GNU/Linux (Manjaro) for ~2 years now. How do they pick the ppl that can participate? I'm always using the Steam Beta Client, maybe that's an issue or something. I read somewhere that accounts with low playtime also can be filtered out sometimes. I'd say I'm somewhere between 20 - 30h playtime per month on Steam.
                    Bingo. Use the regular client. That the anecdote, anyways.

                    I don't think the amount of playtime matters. I've had it appear most often after fresh Linux installs during lulls in gaming where I'm only installing and running Steam to keep games up-to-date because I'm trying out different distributions to see how other setups and ways are. I'm almost always running the regular Steam client when I'm doing that.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X