No announcement yet.

Godot Game Engine Has Been Backing "Betsy" As A GPU-Based Texture Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This compressor is implemented as GLSL compute shaders so the work can be offloaded to the graphics processor either via OpenGL or Vulkan usage as well
    It seems Betsy does not yet support Vulkan, it however has been designed to support it. I have not looked at the code, but from what I read it should be really simple to make it work. In spite of that I think it's good to make that distinction for accuracy sake.

I'm assuming this will be used in Godot 4, so it will probably be updated soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

What's stopping you from doing this yourself?

There are an insane amount of community examples, some require tweaks but most just work. It will take some time to learn how the engine itself works, but there's no way that you're going to avoid it if you actually want to make something useful in any 3D engine.

I messed around with the GDScript and reviewed some of the highlevel netcode. The docs is very useful, but some of the middleware has lot of room for improvement. The advantages are that it's very easy and quick to get going, Godot did a really good job at keeping it that way. Exporting games was also effortless. I did not expect it to be that easy.
      I don't know any game programming at all. I just wanted a demo to launch and play around and see if my system handles it, and how modern games can look, run and perform on Linux.

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      Godot has a third person shooter demo:

For benchmark purposes the player script could be modified to just run in circles or something:
      https://github.com/godotengine/tps-d...ayer/player.gd
      Oh too bad you need Godot Engine to run int, and cant just download a .zip, a .tar.xz file, or a Flatpak or Snap package or something.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Oh too bad you need Godot Engine to run int, and cant just download a .zip, a .tar.xz file, or a Flatpak or Snap package or something.
        Some Linux people still think its amazing to build everything yourself like 20 years ago lol. They will probably flame my post for saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Some Linux people still think its amazing to build everything yourself like 20 years ago lol. They will probably flame my post for saying it.
          Yeah, I've never built anything myself.

Comment

I don't know any game programming at all. I just wanted a demo to launch and play around and see if my system handles it, and how modern games can look, run and perform on Linux.
            Bear in mind that 3D performance compared to Unity is an acknowledged weakness of Godot 3.x and one of the primary focuses for improvement in the upcoming Godot 4.x.

(On the other hand, Unity just locks the camera and projection mode if you choose to make a 2D game and leaves all the papercuts up to you to address, while Godot has dedicated 2D and 3D renderers.)

I assume they just thought anyone who would want to try it would already have Godot installed. That said, Godot is front of the pack in ease of installation.

The Godot editor for Linux is a single-file ~70MiB binary (~30MiB zipped) with no non-standard dependencies (it does depend on a few things like the X11 libs and libvorbis on Linux) and games can be exported as single-file binaries with the same dependency requirements. In fact, the Godot editor is implemented as a Godot game.

(However, you will need to ask the editor to download an optional ~200MiB bundle of "export templates" (extra runtimes) if you want to export for other platforms and, if you want UPX or custom Windows icons, you'll want the two-file export with a separate .pak file, since UPX trashes the appended PAK and they currently rely on an external PE resource editor that does the same thing.)

My test builds of the tutorial game were ~40MiB uncompressed and ready to run for Linux x86_64 with more room to be shrunk if you replace the precompiled export template with a custom build that turns off things like the netcode. (They have a guide for doing that.)
            Last edited by ssokolow; 26 November 2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

The Godot editor for Linux is a single-file ~70MiB binary (~30MiB zipped) with no non-standard dependencies (it does depend on a few things like the X11 libs and libvorbis on Linux) and games can be exported as single-file binaries with the same dependency requirements. In fact, the Godot editor is implemented as a Godot game.

(However, you will need to ask the editor to download an optional ~200MiB bundle of "export templates" (extra runtimes) if you want to export for other platforms and, if you want UPX or custom Windows icons, you'll want the two-file export with a separate .pak file, since UPX trashes the appended PAK and they currently rely on an external PE resource editor that does the same thing.)

My test builds of the tutorial game were ~40MiB uncompressed and ready to run for Linux x86_64 with more room to be shrunk if you replace the precompiled export template with a custom build that turns off things like the netcode. (They have a guide for doing that.)
              To add to that, it's also available on Steam for all platforms, Linux, macOS, and Windows, so all a person has to do is go to Steam and install it like any other game. It comes with some demo code, all the export templates, and basically everything needed.

Comment

You just need some free time: https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stab.../step_by_step/
                No need to compille it if you don't want to. The website says it's available on Steam: https://godotengine.org/download/linux

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

I think it's important to have the ability to build everything yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    No need to compille it if you don't want to. The website says it's available on Steam: https://godotengine.org/download/linux
                    Itch.io too, if you happen to have that game downloader/manager client handy.

Comment

Working...
                    X