Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4A Games Still Working On Linux Port Of Metro Exodus

Phoronix: 4A Games Still Working On Linux Port Of Metro Exodus

While Metro Exodus can run on Linux right now via Steam Play, 4A Games is still working on a port of this popular game to Linux and Mac systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's really cool. It's annoying when some games of a series get ported, but not all games, so it's nice to see they're continuing support. Makes me wonder if this will be the first Linux-native game with raytracing support.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      That's really cool. It's annoying when some games of a series get ported, but not all games, so it's nice to see they're continuing support. Makes me wonder if this will be the first Linux-native game with raytracing support.
      I don't think so.

You can notice
      libdxvk.so
      in there.

So it likely won't have ray tracing , given that it seems they are just wrapping their existing d3d11 renderer with DXVK.

Anyway , my hopes about that port is not high. Given how their Metro Redux ports straight up missed features like tesselation on Linux and Mac build previously , my expectation is really low.

Comment

I was able to play the GOG version of Exodus but I wound up using WINE 4 because WINE 5.0 and later the sound doesn't work with any of the Metro games. I do hope they come up with a Linux port but WOW that's a huge game, the game installed is 72G.

Comment

I also have mixed feeling with these ports.
          I just remembered that I bought Ferals Deus Ex: Mankind Divided when it was released to support Linux gaming. Today, Feral still has no support for AMD graphic cards for this game and supported distros are SteamOS 2.0 and Ubuntu 16.10 (64bit)...
          So, the game does not start on my Suse Tumbleweed with a RX480 GPU and MESA driver.
          I installed it on Windows yesterday for some dual boot fun :-(

Comment

The problem I have with the wrapping is I like to play some of these games with friends online (like Tomb Raider) so if any of them have it on Windows it doesn’t work - I have to either use Proton or just install Steam via WINE.

Something about the way Feral wrapped it made it incompatible online

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
              I just remembered that I bought Ferals Deus Ex: Mankind Divided when it was released to support Linux gaming. Today, Feral still has no support for AMD graphic cards for this game and supported distros are SteamOS 2.0 and Ubuntu 16.10 (64bit)...
              So, the game does not start on my Suse Tumbleweed with a RX480 GPU and MESA driver.

It should work just fine even though AMD graphics wasn't officially supported back when the game released for Linux.
              I haven't played it in the last year or so, but it worked fine for me using an R9 Fury with mesa and Debian.
              The fact that it doesn't start in your case probably has nothing to do with graphics, but is more likely due to some runtime issues in combination with your particular distribution. Usually such issues can be worked around but it sure is annoying when this happens.

This page could be useful:

Comment

I activate Steam Play and force enable the use of Steam Runtime per game to get compatibility with older games. It doesn't work for every game, though. But always worth a try.

Comment

Don't buy this game, it's completely bugged and may even randomly delete your savegames. It did so for me and others, which is why I'm done with this game studio.

Comment

1-) System requirements section for Deus EX MD is just old. Game runs on Mesa just fine.

2-) Suse and other distros has some issues but all of them has workarounds. While Ubuntu base doesn't have those issues because just like how Valve only officially supports Ubuntu while their work ( Proton , client itself etc ) works on other distros too (most of the time without issues , sometimes with small issues that needs workarounds) , Feral has same policy here. So they don't name any other distros at their system requirements section.

https://github.com/FeralInteractive/...scripts/issues

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ankind_Divided

Comment

Working...
                    X