FlightGear 2020.3 Released For This Leading Open-Source Flight Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlightGear 2020.3 Released For This Leading Open-Source Flight Simulator

Phoronix: FlightGear 2020.3 Released For This Leading Open-Source Flight Simulator

FlightGear 2020.3 is out today as the newest feature update to this long-standing, open-source flight simulator software package...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think this one only has old, boring, passenger jets and grandpa planes. It doesn't have F-22 Raptor, F-35 Lightning II, etc.

Comment

So why not create such planes yourself? I haven't looked at it for years but I remember a nice Citation X. I'll probably install it again in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I think this one only has old, boring, passenger jets and grandpa planes. It doesn't have F-22 Raptor, F-35 Lightning II, etc.
        That isn't technically correct. While I don't think those specific ones are available in the base game, plenty of other fun things like the F16, B2, and F117 are.

There are also 3rd party aircraft available.

Comment

Originally posted by mike456 View Post
          So why not create such planes yourself? I haven't looked at it for years but I remember a nice Citation X. I'll probably install it again in a while.
          I have no idea how to do that. Since this is a flight simulator not a airplane game you would need more than just textures, you would have to define all these parameters that affect the physical aspects of flights so that the plane behaves realistic and doesn't act like a Boeing 747 with a different texture.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That isn't technically correct. While I don't think those specific ones are available in the base game, plenty of other fun things like the F16, B2, and F117 are.

There are also 3rd party aircraft available.
          Man these planes is older than my mama!

Comment

I have no idea how to do that.
            So get your brain together. This is OpenSource. Or buy stuff on X-Plane or FS2020.

Comment

Ok, what exactly is "leading" about this?
              I get it, it's a valiant open-source effort. But "leading"?

Comment

Originally posted by mike456 View Post

So get your brain together. This is OpenSource. Or buy stuff on X-Plane or FS2020.
                Exactly. Come on, don't expect too much out of unpaid work.

If they had millions, sure, but otherwise no.

This is why uid is my competition; he just complains and complains and complains.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Ok, what exactly is "leading" about this?
                  I get it, it's a valiant open-source effort. But "leading"?
                  When you're the only player on the (open source) field, you're both the winner and the loser, leader and last place.

Comment

I have no idea how to do that. Since this is a flight simulator not a airplane game you would need more than just textures, you would have to define all these parameters that affect the physical aspects of flights so that the plane behaves realistic and doesn't act like a Boeing 747 with a different texture.
                    And you expect volunteer or non-profit devs to have access to this kind of stuff?

Comment

Working...
                    X