Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I've had L1/R1 swap with L2/R2 before.

I'd be happier about the DS4 working with Linux if it wasn't such an ugly controller that'll be even uglier in a week after I turn portions of it sweat yellow and brown...and if more PC games would show actual PS buttons instead of Xbox buttons. Can't tell y'all how many times I've hit the wrong X button.

I'd love an Xbox controller with the same dpad and thumbstick layout as PS controllers.
    Not a fan of regular cleaning hum? :-)

I had the same problem with the button identification, until I forced myself to not look at the controller anymore and rely on muscle memory.

I wish the XBone controller had better Bluetooth support on PC, but I think that boat has sailed.

Comment

I've had L1/R1 swap with L2/R2 before.

I'd be happier about the DS4 working with Linux if it wasn't such an ugly controller that'll be even uglier in a week after I turn portions of it sweat yellow and brown...and if more PC games would show actual PS buttons instead of Xbox buttons. Can't tell y'all how many times I've hit the wrong X button.

I'd love an Xbox controller with the same dpad and thumbstick layout as PS controllers.
      Yeah that's weird, I've never had that problem, and I've used the DS4 for maybe 5 years.
      I agree that it'd be nice if more games showed the actual PS buttons though, or, that they would work with the force feedback (a lot don't). I'm used to seeing the Xbox controls so I've never had the issue of pressing the wrong X, but I can easily see why some would.

I actually overall prefer the Xbox controller layout, but, I got the DS4 because the touchpad, bluetooth support, and configurable LED made it the obvious choice for me. I wrote a shell script to change the LED based on battery life, and whether it is charging or discharging.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Yeah that's weird, I've never had that problem, and I've used the DS4 for maybe 5 years.
        I agree that it'd be nice if more games showed the actual PS buttons though, or, that they would work with the force feedback (a lot don't). I'm used to seeing the Xbox controls so I've never had the issue of pressing the wrong X, but I can easily see why some would.

I actually overall prefer the Xbox controller layout, but, I got the DS4 because the touchpad, bluetooth support, and configurable LED made it the obvious choice for me. I wrote a shell script to change the LED based on battery life, and whether it is charging or discharging.
        I've only had that shoulder swap happen once. When I restarted Steam Proton updated and it was fixed.

What sucks is how on Windows some games will show the PS buttons and they won't on the same game on Wine/Linux or Linux native. I alternate between gaming on PC and gaming with my Dad on a PS4 and the first few seconds on a different system throws me off. "Is X actually X or is it Square?"

I have the same reasons for using the DS4, with the added benefit that I can take it to my Dad's and play games with him since he uses a PS4. For most games I prefer the Xbox layout over Playstation, but then there are games like THPS where I prefer the dpad over the stick for long-term gaming and the Xbox dpad position sucks for that, IMHO.

Comment

Do you need to recompile/relink the software using SDL2 or is it sufficient to just update the SDL2 libraries and run the game?

Comment

Looks like the Dual Sense will work on Linux out of the box.

But after watching a disassemble of the controller, I would wait to see if that fancy triggers will last, because they look like something waiting to break.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Not a fan of regular cleaning hum? :-)

I had the same problem with the button identification, until I forced myself to not look at the controller anymore and rely on muscle memory.

I wish the XBone controller had better Bluetooth support on PC, but I think that boat has sailed.
              It's not that, you just don't get how bad my hands sweat; especially if I'm playing an exciting game. I'm a perfect candidate for that hand sweat stuff I've been seeing advertised on TV...only I call those people very bad names when they talk about how it's the worst thing in their lives. As someone who suffers from that same condition, I can assure y'all that there are worse things in life than sweaty palms.

My problem isn't muscle memory or having to look at a controller, it's switching back and forth between on-screen Xbox and PS prompts multiple times in the same day some days. A lot of times it takes a minute for the other system's muscle memory to kick in.

Funnily enough, I've never once looked into wireless Xbox controllers. I actually want a wired one for use as a backup controller and for FPS games. Different tools for different jobs.

Comment

Maybe check out the Logitech F310/F710? Sound like what you're looking for, and pretty cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Maybe check out the Logitech F310/F710? Sound like what you're looking for, and pretty cheap too.
                  Nah, that's like a PS3/4 with Xbox labeled buttons. Close but no cigar. I'm looking for something closer to the8Bitdo Sn30 Pro+ layout on an Xbox frame. Ideally what I want would have the Xbox frame/grip, bumper and triggers, and rear paddles with the PS stick and button locations.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

I have a hand-me-down F710, wouldn't recommend it for my worst enemy. Is okayish if you are stuck with it, but pales in comparation with other offerings.

Comment

I wonder if SDL2 will add some API to properly map the new haptic features from the DS5.

Comment

Working...
                      X