Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL2 Adds Sony PlayStation 5 Controller Support

Phoronix: SDL2 Adds Sony PlayStation 5 Controller Support

While the Sony PlayStation 5 isn't beginning to ship until next week there is now support within the widely-used SDL2 library for its controllers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is amazing how fast they do this work, the console isn't even out yet, I imagine they must have gotten the controller from a development kit.

Comment

These need to be connected via USB don't they? no bluetooth connection possibility?

Comment

Thank you Valve! Awesome work!

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        These need to be connected via USB don't they? no bluetooth connection possibility?
        PS4 and earlier support bluetooth connections on linux already (I mainly use a PS4 controller, and used PS3 prior). I can't say for sure that this implements that support, but at the very least it will be a step toward that. I wouldn't be surprised if it already works with just this, but bluez might need new hardware IDs added.
        Last edited by lectrode; 06 November 2020, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          It seems to work in wireless too: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin..._manjaro_xfce/

Comment

These controllers were commercially available before the console.

I hope this time they do not invert (mapping) the position of the face buttons, like in the Dualshock 4, in relation to the XB360 standand. Really annoying in some games.

Also, speaking of controllers and Bluetooth, that security upgrade on the BT stack really messed up the already not great Xbox One Controller BT support. Now the connection is so unstable that is only possible to play properly on a USB cable.

Comment

That's some real proper timing. This is how you do it!

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                I hope this time they do not invert (mapping) the position of the face buttons, like in the Dualshock 4, in relation to the XB360 standand. Really annoying in some games.
                Hmm? I don't recall ever having this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Hmm? I don't recall ever having this problem.
                  I've had L1/R1 swap with L2/R2 before.

I'd be happier about the DS4 working with Linux if it wasn't such an ugly controller that'll be even uglier in a week after I turn portions of it sweat yellow and brown...and if more PC games would show actual PS buttons instead of Xbox buttons. Can't tell y'all how many times I've hit the wrong X button.

I'd love an Xbox controller with the same dpad and thumbstick layout as PS controllers.

Comment

Square and Triangle (I guess) are not mapped exactly as in the XB360 controller (the actual PC game standard), in terms of who is "button 1, 2, 3, 4". In some games, like American Truck Simulator or Skyforce Reloaded, they are swapped in position.

AFAIK this was done at the driver level (I guess who did it never touched a XB360 controller). I remember some confusion when SDL (?) people tried to rectify this, and people at Valve (?) complained that it had broken their own fix to this issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X