You Can Now Play UT3 On Linux, Sort Of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
    guys, first of all, please stop bitching about cedega and transgaming all the time !
    I believe it is based on the personal experiences of the people making the commentary. My results have varied and I've not been overly impressed with either side of the equation- though I've been more impressed with Codeweavers and WINE than I've been with Transgaming from their very beginnings. Many of the titles I've got work better in WINE or Codeweavers than they ever have on Cedega. (Which, unfortunately, is a relative concept...) Of course, you can make a go at discounting my own impressions since I work as a consultant for the "competition", but I've been at using this stuff well before I took to porting games. I've been at this whole Linux thing for years now.

They give linux players the possibility to play windows games which do atm NOT work with wine or only work very poorly.
    Actually, I've found the situation often reversed between them and WINE.

At least Bioshock and red alert 3 only worked poorly in wine (with low graphics) and perfromance was not good also the last time i tried..
    When was the last time you tried it?

When you look at the new support games list of 7.1 you will surely notice that Bioshick is now a certified title. This game uses the UT3 engine.
    Cause they wanted to certify this title and therefore had to get the ut3 engine working, games like ut3, medal of honor airborne also work now.
    One does NOT equate to the other. What certifying one means is that you have less work to certify the others. And not all bugs in one are present in the other. An engine is a library of stuff that enables the game to be done. When someone buys a license they get the right to modify the crud out of the thing for at least one title.

This typically happens on most of the games out there.

The fact that ut3 works in cedega now has absolutely NOTHING to do with the native ut3 client icculus is working on.
    Heh... This would be the first one you got right so far. The ire, though, is that there was a working native client that has YET to be released because of idiotic legal tangles. Which piece of middleware that presents this issue remains to be seen. The frustration about icculus versus Transgaming "making it possible to play it on Linux" is that we could have had this MONTHS ago had the BS not transpired the way it was with the native port- something they're still promising us at this point in time, even though it's well over a year overdue from when they initially thought it was going to happen.

UT3 simply works in cedega cause of the fact they certified bioshock which uses the same engine like ut3.
    Uh. No. Certifying one does NOT lead to the other. It just makes it more likely to have less bugs is all.

So, tg is not as bad as you guys always claim them to be.
    So far, you've not really gone to show that they're wrong- only that your personal experience with the titles you mention have been "great".

All one has to do to realize that this isn't really the case in the big-picture sense of things is to point someone to the example of EVE Online, who had CONTRACTED with Transgaming to provide Linux support, only to drop it some 8-ish months later because they couldn't deliver and WINE was doing a vastly better job- and to that end, they tell their customers that're running Linux to go do that and that would be the supported route for them to play.

Comment

guys, first of all, please stop bitching about cedega and transgaming all the time !
      I think the reason why people here complain about Cedega is because they used wines code without contributing to the wine project. They didnt exactly break the license, but they didnt exactly abide it either. If they would just contribute there improvements to the wine project we'd all be better off.
      Last edited by duby229; 09 March 2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        I hope these guys go bankruptcy. They deserve it. And I'll feel sorry only for the "normal" guys that work there and have a family.
        They are actually.
        Faced with $240 million debt deadline, the once-mighty Mortal Kombat maker files for Chapter 11 protection; Mortal Kombat vs. DC shipments near 2 million.

List of creditors Midway ows money to:

Comment

I used Cedega once and wasn't satisfied with it's experience. Also the EVE-Online disaster give them the rest. I'm not going to use it ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by red_team316 View Post
            They are actually.
            Faced with $240 million debt deadline, the once-mighty Mortal Kombat maker files for Chapter 11 protection; Mortal Kombat vs. DC shipments near 2 million.

List of creditors Midway ows money to:
            http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/...039s-creditors
            Heh... It's interesting to note that Midway owes 1.975 mil in royalties according to the creditor list for the 11 filing they made last month. More entertaining is the 150 million they own Wells Fargo in unsecured loans to them.

Comment

They give linux players the possibility to play windows games which do atm NOT work with wine or only work very poorly.

E.g. Bioshock, Medal Of Honor Airborne, Red Alert 3 ...

At least Bioshock and red alert 3 only worked poorly in wine (with low graphics) and perfromance was not good also the last time i tried..

When you look at the new support games list of 7.1 you will surely notice that Bioshick is now a certified title. This game uses the UT3 engine.
              Cause they wanted to certify this title and therefore had to get the ut3 engine working, games like ut3, medal of honor airborne also work now.

BTW: about the certification of Bioshock: http://www.cedega.com/forum

The fact that ut3 works in cedega now has absolutely NOTHING to do with the native ut3 client icculus is working on.

UT3 simply works in cedega cause of the fact they certified bioshock which uses the same engine like ut3.

So, tg is not as bad as you guys always claim them to be.

Christian
              We don't bitch at Cedega because we think it delays work on the native client. Where did you see anyone mentioning that in this thread?

*looks for ghosts*

EDIT: BTW: On the subject of certifying Bioshock: http://www.cedega.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10138
              Last edited by MaestroMaus; 10 March 2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                EDIT: BTW: On the subject of certifying Bioshock: http://www.cedega.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10138
                Heh... No further comment...

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                  Business as usual then.

Comment

Working...
                  X